TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Keri67

Talking Water filter a must have

We bought our 3023 new in 2008. How I wish I knew about this forum then!! After many trials and errors, and being first time camper owners, this TM has been a serious learning experience. The dealer showed basics (open/close) but we were on our own after that.

Two weeks ago I drove 3 hours to the dealer for plumbing repairs. None of the faucets were working (actually, we NEVER had good water pressure from day one).

Also, the tub was splitting from the top down in the corner above the faucet.

After several hundred dollars in labor charges, we were told each faucet was full of tiny rocks/grit, which they showed me. They said the hose filter on the fill hose was probably clogged. Hmmm, what filter? They sold me one after the repair. I couldn't see where rocks that size got through the screens, but at least it's fixed! There is better water pressure than we've ever had.

Having read the plumbing threads on this forum has made me soooo very happy! I noticed there's no filter or screen on the clean water fill so we will be putting a marine deck plate on the tank for sure!

$12 is a very, very small price to pay for all the excellent information here!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Scott O

Since you read the forum, I assume you know about the anode rod in the water heater??? If you don't, it can be a major source of the kind of crud you are describing. I check mine each year and replace as necessary.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
MisterP

I use a portable water softener when we hook up in any campground. We had a couple of water horror stories in our first TM that stained the trailer. No more.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Lightbulb Water Softner

Please tell me more about your portable softener!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
MisterP

We bought ours a while back, I think at a Camping World, but not sure. It is shown at http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/.

RV and boat shows sell portable softeners all the time. Some look like a regular water filter, some are shaped long and cylindrical like a sausage. I like ours because you can unscrew the top to add one box of regular cheap table salt.

Ours came with a water metering device to stop flow at a desired number of gallons. Have never used it. We regenerate when the water becomes harder or we detect any odors. It has worked well for us.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Keri67

Default Water filter... didn't work for long!

After spending several hundred dollars and that 3 hour trip to the TM dealer, guess what... we once again have no water coming out of the cold side of the shower faucet. Took apart the shower nozzle, nothing.

We will have to go back in and take it apart (at least it's easier than the kitchen!), to clean the lines. So much for that $30 filter they sold us... And now we know how to go in ourselves to fix it. The back panel is easy to access through the rear of the TM.

Any other suggestions on keeping grit/trash out of water lines?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri67 View Post
After spending several hundred dollars and that 3 hour trip to the TM dealer, guess what... we once again have no water coming out of the cold side of the shower faucet. Took apart the shower nozzle, nothing.

We will have to go back in and take it apart (at least it's easier than the kitchen!), to clean the lines. So much for that $30 filter they sold us... And now we know how to go in ourselves to fix it. The back panel is easy to access through the rear of the TM.

Any other suggestions on keeping grit/trash out of water lines?
Are you doing yearly maintenance on your Water Heater?

If you haven't, pull out the anode rod, flush out the water heater as this can be a source of your troubles and replace the anode rod with a new one.

Tim