TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Bed size

I read that someone used a queen size mattress in the king size space so that there would be space on each side to put "stuff" like clock, radio, and sundry other things one might like to have handy at night. Sounded like a good idea until.......I read in another thread that owners experienced cold coming up from the sides of their beds which they solved with towels, swimming pool tubes, etc.

If I order a queen size mattress for a 3124kb, will I be making a mistake because of cold? Or is the size of the mattress irrelevant to this problem since the cold comes through gaps rather than through the bed platform itself?

Thoughts about this?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
ng2951

I think the bigger issue is whether you are sleeping alone. One of the big advantages of the king bed is not having to crawl over anyone in the middle of the night. With the queen bed the person who doesn't mind being crawled over needs to be positioned nearest the aisle.

In my 3326 I have a small TV shelf in the king bed area and we have found it quite useful.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Digger

If you place the queen size mattress lengthwise with the TM, there is no need to crawl over anyone to get in/out of bed. That's what we do. Ed
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
ng2951

Yes, I guess that is true when you put queen bed on top of a king bed. That's not a bad thought, I just don't know how the dogs will adjust to it...
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Digger

Another advantage is you can leave everything in place when you close up the TM. It’s all a matter of what works for you. And yes, we do have padding we place along the sides for cold nights. I’m going to cut a length of 1” foam pad to use as a more permanent solution for the coming season. Our golden Retriever takes up the whole bed no matter what size mattress we have. Ed.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I eliminated all drafts in the rear bed area by increasing the snugness of the upper shell to the lower shell along where your head and feet would be. I tried placing rags behind the closet but that did not work well.

I also add pool noodles along both sides. if it is cold and windy. The pool noodles stuff up into a space from the outside, on the bottom of the rear bed.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
If I order a queen size mattress for a 3124kb, will I be making a mistake because of cold? Or is the size of the mattress irrelevant to this problem since the cold comes through gaps rather than through the bed platform itself?

Thoughts about this?
I don't think think the queen mattress will make any difference with the drafts, since the mattress sits down in a tray. The king mattress doesn't cover any of the small gap areas.

Chap
Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Digger

You are correct mtnguy. I use the padding mostly to prevent frost forming on the bare plywood deck from condensation when it gets below freezing. It has nothing to do with drafts. Thanks for keeping me honest. Ed
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
mtnguy

Ed, I just didn't know if Bluegrass knew that the mattress doesn't cover the slide gaps. I didn't think about the bare area left by replacing the king mattress could be a problem, but now realize that it could get cold without the mattress there, as the mattress has to provide some insulation. I am not sure what is under the mattress area.....is that just plywood, or is it the sandwiched foam board?? I know in my previous pop-up, it was just bare plywood.

I see you are from Alaska.....no wonder you use that foam. The missus doesn't want to camp when it gets below 30 or so.

Chap
Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Bluegrass

Thanks to all. Very helpful. I think we'll go with the queen size. And yes, we plan to put it lengthwise so we don't have to crawl over each other.

Hey Wayne, I used to live in your neighborhood, near Leland HS. Next time I get back to the old neighborhood, I may drop a note and come and see your rig.