TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > For Sale Section > TrailManors Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 06:28 AM

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Nice looking unit! I don't mean to be super fussy, but it looks like one of the tail light lenses is mounted upside down. The left and right lenses are probably identical, and therefore it is easy to rotate one. But just in case they are not, and you would have to buy a new lens or a new fixture, you should be sure that the dealer puts it right.

Bill
Old 09-11-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
A quick check on the U-haul site and I see they advertise that you can tow with one of their vehicles.
This appears to say that you can tow one of their trailers with one of their tow vehicles. Does this mean you can tow your own trailer with one of their tow vehicles? I'm not sure it works out that way.

The issue again is brakes. A U-Haul trailer has surge brakes, which are self-activating HYDRAULIC brakes. Surge brakes don't need a controller of any kind. This allows a surge-equipped trailer to be towed by any tow vehicle, including a U-Haul truck. But you can't tow a trailer with electric brakes behind a U-Haul truck, because electric brakes require a controller, and a U-Haul truck doesn't have one.

Is there a way around this? Sure. You could mount an inertial brake controller in the U-Haul truck cab, power it from the truck's battery, and carry the brake wire back to the TM's brakes. Or you could mount an inertial controller in the TM itself, using the TM's battery for power, and connect it to the TM's brakes. I doubt that U-Haul would let you do either of these installations yourself. At very least, they would want to install / connect / test it themselves. But I bet they still wouldn't allow it, because they can't be sure what you, the driver, would do on the road, and they don't want to be responsible. For example, if you use the truck's battery for power, what if you disconnect the brake wire at night, and forget to reconnect it in the morning? Or if you use the TM's battery, how can they be sure it will be adequately charged? And so forth.

A surge brake assembly is a very simple mechanical mechanism, and there is almost nothing that a driver can do to mess it up. That's why U-Haul uses it on all their trailers. If I were U-Haul, I would not allow you to use a relatively complex electric controller in its place.

I may be wrong - I would like to find out that I am. I see that U-haul will sell you a trailer-side Bargman connector - but there is no detail as to number of conductors, or purpose. Does the U-Haul truck have the mating connector?

And hidden off in a corner of their web site, I see "Only U-Haul offers rental trailers that can be towed behind the moving truck." I take this to mean that "No one else offers rental trailers that can be towed behind the moving truck." If no one else's trailer can be used, how could you hope to bring your own trailer?

If you are thinking of towing a TM with a U-Haul truck, be sure that both you and U-Haul understand what it means.

Bill
Old 09-11-2020, 02:36 PM
Site Sponsor

Speaking of surge brakes... Does anyone ever seeing somewhere about TMs that “military units are equipped with surge brakes”? I always found that interesting. But maybe I made it up in my head.
Custom removable tongue
Old 09-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Does anyone ever seeing somewhere about TMs that “military units are equipped with surge brakes”? I always found that interesting.
Sure. On page 17 of the current Trail Manor Owners Manual, which can be viewed here

https://trailmanor.com/wp-content/up...nersmanual.pdf

you can go to the section on Brakes and read "Please Note: TrailManor Models Provided To The Military Are Normally Equipped With Surge Brakes Instead of Electric Brakes. Refer To The Surge Brake Operation Literature Included With the Trailer." Presumably this refers to literature included with a surge-brake-equipped TM. I've never seen any surge-related literature with a "normal" TM.

It makes sense, since a military truck has to be able to handle any trailer, from a light water cask trailer to a heavy weapons trailer, without making any change or adjustment to the truck. That is the beauty of surge brakes.

Bill
Old 09-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Site Sponsor

Uhh, the military has purchased Trailmanors? Wow, I would like to see that.

Dave
Closed Thread

Tags
3124kb, canada, tm popup