TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
clan_salmons

Default We did it!

After years of dreaming we just pick up a 2008 3023. I've never towed anything close to this size in my life so needless to say I was concerned. TM towed as advertised. Not a wiggle. Lane changes will be exciting for a while and forget backing up. It's off to the parking lots tomorrow.

I saw my first TM in the late '80s. An older couple pulled a TM into Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and drew a small crowd while setting it up. They had pulled that mountain with a 6 cylnder Chevrolet Celebrity. I was hooked. About ten years later another one showed up. I drug my wife over and invited myself in. The owner was gracious and showed us around. My wife wasn't interested in popups, but liked the TM.

Well now we are empty nesters and decided it was time to get off the hard ground and into a bed. We roll the TM to the Loch Norman Highland Games in NC next weekend. Not ready to boondock yet, but it won't be long.

I want to thank all the members of this forum for all the invaluable information you have provided. $12 to be a member of this forum is a tremendous value.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Congrats we also have a 2008 3023.

Don't worry about towing the TM is a very well behaved trailer although I still use a Sway Control for extra safety.

I suggest practicing with cones in a open lot until you feel comfortable Towing, Backing etc some camp grounds can be challenging.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
MariaG

Congrats and welcome! We attend the Fegus Highland Games in Ontario every August, and know several people who go to GM. I've camped at Fergus in the TM and it always gets a lot of double takes and attention.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
clown9644

Congrats on your purchase. You will not regret it for one minute! I love my 3023!! You will make lots of friends at the campgrounds as you will always draw a crowd as you are opening up.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Default re:lane change and backing up

Regarding lane changes and backing up.

Make sure that your mirrors are adequate for the job.

I recommend two tests:

1. Hook up the TM and park it somewhere in a straight line. Pace of around 300-350 feet behind the TM. I have read where someone reported that this is a legal distance of 300 feet in Wyoming. I have never looked it up. Can you see both mirrors? If not, then consider pushing the mirrors out further. You may need to purchase add on mirrors. Many of us like the McKesh, but there are others. Do a search.

2. Determine the maximum distance you can extend your mirrors according to your state laws. There are probably 2 documented distances:

a: maximum width of the vehicle, including mirrors. This is a mirror to mirror distance, as measured to the outside edge of each mirror.
b: maximum distance that each mirror can extend past the side of the vehicle.

When my daughter is following me, at a safe distance, in either her Subaru Impreza or Miata, I can see her in at least one of the mirrors.

Get the small spot mirrors. These are the curved ones that frequently say that objects are closera than the appear. I can see how close the TM tires are to a curb and I can also see traffic coming onto the freeway. I can also see how far I am ahead of the vehicle that I have just passed. It takes a little getting used to for awhile.

For backing into a campsite, the best person to guide me is my blind brother in law. I position him on the drivers side and have him hold his cane where I want the street side rear corner to be. I then position his other hand outward over the point where I want the rear of the TM to stop.

I aim for the cane. When the TM touches his hand he yells STOP.

Everyone else that tries to help me talks too much.
Welcome aboard.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
For backing into a campsite, the best person to guide me is my blind brother in law. I position him on the drivers side and have him hold his cane where I want the street side rear corner to be. I then position his other hand outward over the point where I want the rear of the TM to stop.

Welcome aboard.

That's the best solution I've ever heard!

Keith
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
irenepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

Welcome aboard.

Very good and funny. I have learned to it all by myself as all my helper talked to little to late.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Hi yas and gratz

welcome , we have learned so much here, best 12 dollers i ever spent,
and if you come to grandfather mt. This yr, plz say something, dw and i are hopeing to go for a day or so this yr, she likes the working dogs (collie's) live about 45 min away, again welcome and enjoy.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Addendum to my earlier comments:

When backing into the garage, where I have 2 inches of clearance on the driver's side, I don't want any help. I have a mark on the floor where the chock goes. I have a mop hanging from a cabinet instead of my brother in laws cane. When I hit the chock I stop. It takes one try to get aligned in the driveway the way I want to be and then one try to get it into the garage. I do have a straight shot at the garage. My neighbors are impressed at my backing in, especially knowing when to stop. The do not know about the mop and chock. The rear wall of the garage is dinged up a little. Before I figured out to use the chock, I stopped when the rear hitch receiver hit the wall. My wife always came out of the house to see if I was OK.

When making a 19 point turn in a forest full of trees after sunset I let my daughter (30) assist me. She had a flashlight. Her job was to stand behind the TM and any time she thought I might hit something she yelled STOP and I got out to look at the situation. I can see the front and both sides. I can not see the rear. Under this circumstance I doubt that a rear view camera would work well enough. My wife and nephew (28) were not invited to help. There is a limit to my trust and confidence in people. My son (28) was not there. I might trust him.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
REBCAT

For backing in we use walkie talkies. Just had to learn to say STOP...apparently whoa sounds like go!!!!