TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Where is the A/C drain?

Anyone know where the A/C condensation drains? I was in Myrtle Beach, SC (Very HOT and Humid) and the A/C was running all the time. I never saw any water under the trailer. The A/C on the TM was barley cooling the inside except at night.
Any ideas? Can the A/C be re-charged?
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesjunk
Anyone know where the A/C condensation drains? I was in Myrtle Beach, SC (Very HOT and Humid) and the A/C was running all the time. I never saw any water under the trailer. The A/C on the TM was barley cooling the inside except at night.
Any ideas? Can the A/C be re-charged?
The side mounted AC on a pre-2002 TM is nothing more than a household type (non-RV) window air conditioner, probably of about 7000 BTU on a 2000 model year (earlier TMs used very low capacity 5000 BTU units). A 7000 BTU unit household unit located that low in the trailer was barely effective when new; it's very likely lost much of its cooling effectiveness over the years. Depending on the exact make and model, you might be able to find an shop that will give it a tuneup but you will have to remove it from the trailer. It'll probably be easier and more effective if you simply go buy a new 10,000 BTU window air conditioner that has dimensions appropriate for the cavity.

The drain is normally very near the outside wall of the trailer and very likely is plugged with gunk on your trailer. Take the outside grille off and see if you can find the drain tray/hose under the AC. You may also be able to find a drain hose under the trailer and be able to ream it out with a brush designed for small hoses (try those made for CamelBak hydration tubes...sold at places like REI).

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We had a side a/c unit in our 97 TM. I pulled it out about a month ago. There was a plastic tray underneath with a lip around it and a center drain with a hose attached with a hose clamp that ran down around the wheelwell to the bottom of the trailer. I'm sorry that I pulled out that hose when I took out the tray, because I think it might be a bit of a chore to channel it back into its original location, but I didn't know what was involved when I pulled out the tray. If I were to do it again, I'd raise up the tray and unclamp the hose, and then leave the hose where it was for possible future replacement of the a/c unit.

Dee
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I have the side mounted A/C on my '99 2619. The drain hose for the A/C is in the wheel well behind the tire on the door side of the trailer below the A/C unit. You can see it in the photo link below:

http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/...ell/well02.jpg

When I did my wheel well retrofit to make the wheel wells round, I had to route it through the sheet metal I added as you can see in the photo link below:

http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/...ell/well03.jpg

In the six years I've used the trailer I've only used the A/C three times. The first time I used it, I thought it was basically useless. But when I put an oscillating fan on the counter top over the A/C unit, I got much better results. The problem with the side mounted A/C is once it cools the space between the cabinet and the wall which only takes a few minute the compressor will shut off. With the oscillating fan the compressor will run longer and cool the trailer better.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Figured it out

I finally pull the A/C out to clean and check out. Found out that the A/C had been replaced with a recon 10,000 BTU unit. But, there was no hole in the A/C pan to drain the water. After drilling two holes and throughly cleaning the unit, it works better. I think the TM still needs a circulating fan to distribute the cool air.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote