TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #211
Reldma

Dave I noticed that you showed that you had the Carlisle 225 75/R15 E tires when you posted 6/16/2009 and in your post yesterday your showing the same tires. Can I assume that they are the same tires and you have had not tire failures?
Ray
Reldma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #212
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldma View Post
Dave I noticed that you showed that you had the Carlisle 225 75/R15 E tires when you posted 6/16/2009 and in your post yesterday your showing the same tires. Can I assume that they are the same tires and you have had not tire failures?
When a board user changes their signature, it is also changed in all their previous posts, and I think that is what is happening here. I actually got those Carlisle tires when my Kumho's blew out, and that happened in June 2010 (see http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10265). I am still using those same tires today.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #213
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
On my 2006 2720SL, I tried a Provider ST 225/75 R15. It did not fit into the wheel well rubbing between the tire outer side and the plastic wheel well liner.

In the meantime, I discovered a new Goodyear size ST 205/75 R14, class D are coming available and backordered. Note that I may be slightly off on the widith due to a note taking error. It might be 225 instead of 205. Importantly, it means that we can go up to the next load rating without changing rims.

However, all the bad reports on Goodyear here, I am hesitating.

2006 2720SL, swing away, large top mounted AC, trailer hitch.
David
David, can I ask where this information was obtained about a new Goodyear tire? Was it supposed to be a Marathon model, or were they talking about maybe the bias tire that Goodyear builds specifically for U-Haul?

I talked to a couple of Goodyear dealers about it, and they haven't heard anything from Goodyear either. They were curious too, as they stated they could probably sell them.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #214
DEarle
Site Sponsor

Default Did you get an answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener View Post
I've read a bunch of back and forth regarding the rims, can one of you deffinitively tell me exactly what rims I need. Size, offeset, etc. It sounds like next weekend I'll be working to install mud flaps/splash guards and putting a new tire setup on my TM.

1) Please provide recommended Wheel Specs (I believe 15"X6", 5 lug 4 1/2" pattern, 0" offset?)
2) Which Tire would you recommend (brand, size, load rating etc.)

Thanks Guys !
What answer did you get to this, if any? What did you decide on? Item 1 is the one I'm most interested in (0" offset).

I will be purchasing 3 15" tires and wheels before my first trip, since purchasing my TM last month>

DEarle
2008 2720SL
DEarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #215
rshenise

Default Tire Changes

Hello, Just purchased a used 2008 TM, our first venture into Campers. how do you jack up the TM for a tire change? are there jack points or do you place a jack under the axel?
rshenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #216
Sterman
Site Sponsor

Hi, you should prolly open a new post for your question, but if you look under owner's manuals at about page 17, there is a description on how to change a tire (thanks to Mr. P):
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14329

If you can't access this, you may want to join the forum for $12 a year. Very helpful for us new guys.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #217
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default DEarle: If you will be getting tires AND wheels (Long)

Executive summary: I recommend that you buy Maxxis M8008 ST, and buy them at Load Range 'E' (even though you won't actually be exceeding Load Range 'D' with your 2720).
- - - - -
You might consider ordering them already-mounted and balanced, ready-to-install, from the "free-shipping" Long Beach outfit where I got mine (tires.performanceplustire.com), or the fairly similar priced 'discounttiredirect.com'. I didn't do careful comparison shopping, and may have paid $10-15 more than necessary.

But this is the tire, and I really like it:
http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...reDataID/23961

You are unlikely to find the Maxxis 8008 at a local retailer. In your 2720 (or my own 2619), you don't need Load Range 'E' to handle high loads ('D' is already adequate). But it's probably a good idea to acquire the higher strength construction for a few dollars more. I always ran Goodyear at reduced pressure, 50 PSI cold, per the recommendations for loading (about 40 PSI on my 2619) plus 10 PSI for "higher speed driving", and because I was chicken about going less than 50 PSI. That was 15 PSI under the 65 PSI recommended cold inflation.

I've been running Maxxis at 70 PSI cold. That's just 10 PSI under the specification for max load, and it's a much higher percentage of the specification's 80 PSI value. But this provides a SMOOTHER ride for trailer contents than Goodyear Marathon 'D' at only 50 PSI.

The Trailer contents shake LESS, and I have greater confidence in running the Maxxis tires at (ahem!) higher speeds than I ran the Goodyears, in those States where a single axle trailer can be driven at 65 MPH or (ahem!) higher.
- - - - -

I bought my Maxxis tires pre-mounted on this rim, but note that my Torflex axle uses a 6-bolt pattern (not a 5-point, like the small ones did):
http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...lDataID/114506. I think that it's also available in a 5-bolt pattern. BTW, I think that performanceplus hides their shipping costs and mounting charges by charging higher prices for wheels.

Note the center hub cap on the model I chose. It isn't quite tall enough to seal to them rim, over my '5000 lb' Torflex hub, but it's very close (I can screw it down securely). Before mounting the rims and tires, I replaced the Torflex hub cover assemblies (steel cylinder PLUS rubber "cover"), because leakage often starts starts from weakened steel allowing the whole assembly to slide and leak from the bottom. After you have greased the wheels a few times, the grip WILL be too loose to prevent grease splatter. IIRC, the assemblies are available on eBay for less than $10 each.

Between the new Torflex hub cover assemblies and the wheel rim hub caps, I've got 'double insurance' against grease leakage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_and_rim.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	9144  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #218
DEarle
Site Sponsor

Default New (to me) 2008 2720 advice for new tires, wheels and lift kit.

Greetings, my TM came with tires dated 1307, 2007 and 2107 and all look in new condition. So after spending much time reading this forum I've decided to purchase 15" tires and wheels. I have tentatively decided on the Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15 D rated with appropriate wheels. These tires are 1.6" greater in diameter than the stock 14" tires. which means I need .8" at the top to maintain clearance. Of course I would need the 1.6" fore and aft. But I'm assuming most of the flex is to the top. By the way my unit was built in July of 2007 so I'm assuming it was built before the lift kit was standard. I have 3" clearance from the stock 14" tire all around the wheel well.

Now the TM factory lift kit adds 2". How would it be to just take 2 or 3 pieces 1/2" or 5/8 flat steel, drill holes get longer bolts and use that for a lift kit? Is my thinking valid on this?

Just noticed I posted this under "More Marathon tire failures" Perhaps I should have read more about using the forum, along with bath curtains, LED lights, etc.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #219
rumbleweed

Search for Dexter axle. The factory dies not use a lift kit on new TM's . They use an axle with a different torsion arm angle which provides the lift. There is a thread that describes how to look at your axle and determine if it has the lift built in.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #220
DEarle
Site Sponsor

I had saw a post referring to finding the axle label and found mine was painted over. I did note that the offset on the axle was pointed downward at about the 4 oclock position if that means anything. I'll keep looking for that post. I'm going to order the 15" tires and wheels, change them out and then decide if anything needs to be done and go from there. I'm also adding protection for the plumbing and have ordered a TST 507RV 4 Wheel Trailer Sys (TPMS). Thanks for replying.