TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Pat Stafford

Default Latches popping open

After towing our TM over some rough roads, some caused by road construction, I have had problems with the front and rear latches popping open. The main latches seem to hold OK and we re-latched when we stopped for gas and service.

I have tightened them with the screw adjustement but they still pop loose over rough roads even when locked. The lip and hook portions of the latches appear OK and are not worn. Any suggestions for this one?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
dbnoll

I purchased a set of four small master padlocks, all keyed the same, that fit perfectly in the eyelet provided. They also serve as a theft deterrent if you ever stop somewhere while the TM is in tow.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

Sometimes you have to make them tighter so they don't unlatch with the compression that occurs when the shells bounce up and down. I also have lynch pins that I slide through the eyelets.

Cheri
Old 02-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cheri is right. You can lock the eyelets all you want, and they will still come open when the road gets rough enough. The shell compresses down against the stops, and the lip simply drops off the hook. Locks and all - looks sort of silly. The solution is to tighten the main latches, so there isn't so much compression space available.

Or live with it ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Harry Womack

Look at the post "Latches on roof" by Harry Womack. I put a cable with a snap hook. Also I would not tighten down the latches too tight because it could pull out the screws in the latch on the roof. I am working on a spring load for the catches to keep them in the correct position when closing.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Womack
Look at the post "Latches on roof" by Harry Womack. I put a cable with a snap hook. Also I would not tighten down the latches too tight because it could pull out the screws in the latch on the roof. I am working on a spring load for the catches to keep them in the correct position when closing.
I tried to find the post you refer to unsuccessfully. Do you have pics?
Cheri
Old 02-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
Cheri
Click on Harry Womack
then ...view public proflie
then... all posts by Harry Womack
then go to page two, its almost to the bottom under "latch pin broke"
Found it. Thanks!
Cheri
Old 02-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Pat Stafford

I looked at your public profile but could not access it. Any chance you can include the pic?

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Womack
Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Harry Womack

Here is the old post. When I picked the trailer up at the dealer, they gave me 4 hitch pins to keep the latches from coming open. Trying to keep up with 4 pins at every campout was impossible. I installed a cable and a key ring spring loaded clip on all 4 latches. I am in the process of spring loading the catches so that they are always the right direction when folding the trailer. If they are the wrong direction when folding, they will bend!
Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04129.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	967  
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
Pat Stafford

Thanks Harry, got the pic.

This helps and good idea. Last thing we need is more parts to keep track of. If it is not part of the set-up and take-down routine, then it gets missed or misplaced.

I have given some thought to the draw latches and come to the conclusion they porbably will never be good enough to do the job. In searching, I found some stainless steel ones that may work and could replace the existing four and will also call the manufacturer and ask what they recommend. The rubber draw latches like the ones on the hood of a jeep mignt just do the trick but you can't lock them.

Pat

PS: Will post what I find but it will be April or so before I get a chance to finish up.