TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
Steverino

Default Shower Faucet Question

Hi all,

We just picked up a 1999 2720 from a private party. He told me he replaced the shower faucet. Upon closer inspection, this faucet appears to be like a normal sink faucet, only with a diverter/hose at the "upper" end (what would be the back of the faucet if sink mounted.

Anyway, I got to realizing (when testing the water system) that when the diverter is not engaged (i.e. water running directly out of the faucet), the water is shooting back against the "pressboard" wall where the faucet is mounted.

Seems to me this is not the correct faucet - it should have it's outlet facing down, not back at the wall. As it stands now, you're constantly soaking the wall/mount, and I doubt the material will hold up long under these conditions...

Can someone provide a photo of the correct faucet? If I do have the wrong thing, is the correct faucet readily available thru RV supply houses, or should I go to TM?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Old 02-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Steve,

If you send me a private message with your email address, I will email you a couple of photos of the faucet in my TM 2004 shower/tub. Fairly small file size for the photos; 150k and 180k.

Kevin
Old 02-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
hal

Stevereno, You can go to any big box hardware or plumbing shop and pick up a replacement faucet. Be sure that the stems or feed lines on the new faucet are 8" appart. Then, they should match your old faucet. You might measure the distance between your feed lines to be sure. Older TMs may require the purchase of flexible tubing to make up the distance between the faucet stems and the original plumbing. More recent plumbing is made of pvc or something similar and should attach directly to your new faucet. If yo need longer supply lines, ask your plumber which to use (wire web or nylon web covered). I believe there has been problems with the wire woven type. I was advised to go through the plumbing in my home and replace any hoses that are wire woven and there has been a lot of failure of them.

Now another suggestiion.... why not replace your faucets with a single lever type. Due to the small storage of gray water and how precious drinking water can be, it is a shame to have to let it flow down the drain while it gets to the temperature that you want. Also, with a single lever, you can return to the desired temperature without having to remix the hot and cold as you would with normal faucets. With any faucet, you do not want the water to run continuously, so while rinsing dishes for example, you turn both hot and cold off. I a few seconds you will want to turn them back on again. The mixture isn't the same. Both of your hands will be busy just turning the water on and off. With the single lever faucet, you use one hand to control the water and when turned back on, it is the same temperature each time

Be sure that you don't get a single lever that is too tall. It will rub the bathroom ceiling when the trailer is down the roof may damage the faucet. To determine the size single lever that will work, you will need to climb into the trailer with the rear roof in a down and latched position. You should be able to measure the distance between the sink top and the ceiling. By the way, the same single lever faucet may not work for another TM. It seems that the roofs are not adjusted at the same height when one TM is compared with another.

I saved all the instructions for this install. If you would send me your email address, I would send a copy to you. Anyone else that would like to consider this change can also request a copy.

Hal
Old 02-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Steverino

Default Thanks!

A big "thank you" to each of you who took time to post answers & advice regarding my question.

Kevin's pictures were especially helpful in confirming that my faucet is totally wrong, and the other posts gave me some good ideas for correcting the situation.

Here's a-hopin' for spring!

Steve