TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Bob&Joyce

Default Residual Water in Fresh Water Tank....

So, this past weekend I started working on the plumbing issues that I asked about in a previous thread, and made an interesting discovery.

First off, let me say that I NEVER use the fresh water tank for anything. We have never been dry camping or in a situation that I did not have access to a city water connection. However, back in the spring, a service dealer put fresh water in the tank to use in testing the modifications mentioned in the previous thread, rather than connecting the TM to a city water connection.

When I picked up the camper, there was still about a third of the tank filled with water from his testing. When I got it home, I drained the water through the valve under the camper until it quit flowing, and then totally left the fresh tank alone, thinking I had drained the water out of it.

Well, this past weekend in being around the plumbing, I noticed that there was still a fairly good amount of water left in the bottom of the fresh tank - a good inch or more from the bottom of the tank to the top of the water line - that did not drain out through the drain valve.

I have the pump disconnected right now, so could not try pumping the residual water out.

My question: is it normal for some water to remain in the bottom of the tank after draining? It does appear that both the drain hole in the tank and the supply outlet hose to the pump are about an inch or so above the bottom of the tank. Is there some way to completely drain the tank?

It looks to me like if the tank retains water after draining, there is a real potential for freeze problems. I would estimate there is about 2 gallons, maybe 3, left in the tank.

I thought about sticking a tube down the fresh fill inlet on the outside of the camper and siphoning the residual out.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

I really hope I'm not asking too many questions here, but I appreciate everyone's responses and input.

Thanks

2008 3124KS (With updated stripe kit and wheels)
2006 Expedition 5.4 L
Bob&Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote