TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
BrianG

Question Air Conditioner Leak on 2720

Dear All,

In our latest outing, it rained considerably and our AC unit began to leak so that we had to have several pots and pans on the floor to collect the water. This was not an enjoyable outing as in addition to the rain, the leaks limited what our 1 and 3 yr olds could do since they could not crawl around on the floor and play as usual.

Has anyone had such a problem? How was it resolved? As I consider myself fairly handy, I would like to get on the roof myself and seal off any apparent areas where water may be coming in but any insight into common areas where leaks occur and the best sealant for such use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

On our popup with roof A/C we had this problem, and the "clamp bolts" holding the inside part to the outside part had just loosened up...simple fix to tighten the bolts.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
BrianG

Thanks for the responses. Turns out Bill was right on the money. The screws had loosened considerably and they have been secured now so I will just wait for the next rain storm (or take a hose to it) and see if it holds up. Many thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Magdefrau

Do I need to take the top off of the A/C to see? Will I see the gutter and set screws easily. I have a leak and need to try a fix before I go on my last week long vacation of the year in two weeks. I like to camp in raining cool weather best. but I have to take charge of these leaks. I tried tightening some screws. This helped I thought but more needs to be done.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

It's been a while, but what I remember is that there are 2 phillips screws on the inside unit shroud. You remove them and take the inside shroud off (as if you were going to clean the filter). Then there are some bolts (sorry I can't remember how many or exactly where) which go up through the square vent hole and hold the inside and outside parts of the air conditioner together. These are the bolts I needed to tighten. Tightening the 2 phillips screws that hold the inside unit on is a good idea, but won't help a leaker.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Walter Roach

Heavy rains in Redding, CA was leaking through A/C today. It had never leaked in the rain previously, so this thread helped out. So far, just tightening the Phillips head screws from inside stopped the leaking. My wife is smiling again; thanks.

Walter
Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
Magdefrau

The biggest help during long and heavy rains can be this, set the over all level of the TM so that water drains quicker off the roof. Not at an angle that is a problem. Just enough to help to rain get off the roof quickly. This has help me more that anything. I think setting the TM at perfect level the rain found a way in by pooling on the roof.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Walter Roach

Default Heavy rains aren't normal for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdefrau View Post
The biggest help during long and heavy rains can be this, set the over all level of the TM so that water drains quicker off the roof. Not at an angle that is a problem. Just enough to help to rain get off the roof quickly. This has help me more that anything. I think setting the TM at perfect level the rain found a way in by pooling on the roof.
In San Jose, we get an average of 14 inches of rain in a year; while 2 days ago in Redding, we camped in a 2 inch downpour for the day. I appreciate the tip. Thanks. We are now camping in the sunshine in central California for the next 3 days. We can see out or our windows better now that I washed them this morning.

Walter
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
tfiggins

do you know why ac is leaking inside when running only, I took off the filter amd I could see water comming down around a silver cornor area
Old 08-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The water is probably condensate - humidity that has been condensed out of the air. Condensate is normal - having it leak inside is not. If I recall correctly, the condensate collects in a big flat pan that is part of the air conditioner base, and is supposed to drain out through a small hose in one corner of the pan. I would bet that either the hose, or the little pipe that connects the pan to the hose, is clogged.

Once you find it, it will be easy to clean - just run a wire or a pipe cleaner through it. To find it, scrutinize the Installation manual that came with your TM. Or post the make and model of your air conditioner, and I'll see if I can find the info.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote