TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Eskay1

Default Trailer Coupler-Trailer Lock -Security

Hello, we are new owners of a 1990 2619. I'm trying to determine if the hitch coupler type is a curt or"Atwood"? I'm having trouble determining. Wasn't sure if TM uses the same type throughout all models...While we are it, does anyone recommend any specific brand or type of trailer lock? I'm looking at the fort Knox, proven industries. So much $$$$$ though
Thanks!
Eskay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Ours looks like an atwood.

We have a master ball lock and master hitch pin lock. It was given to us. I have never used it. Not sure what is a good one. I had ours for over 10 years. About once a year I check if it still works.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I wouldn't get too obsessive about finding "the best" coupler lock, and paying a ton for it. Three reasons:

1. The real purpose of a hitch lock is to make a potential thief move on to the next trailer, rather than openly using bolt cutters, chisels, or a hacksaw to get yours.
2. It has been reported on this forum that if a thief is determined to get a particular trailer, and organized enough to do it, he'll ignore the coupler and lock altogether. His tow vehicle will have a quick hookup device equipped with short chains to hook up to your trailer's A-frame, and tow it, coupler lock still in the coupler, to a location where he can work on it in peace - or load it onto a flatbed.
3. I'm under the impression that an opportunistic thief is unlikely to steal a Trail Manor, as opposed to a run-of-the-mill upright trailer. A TM, being found in such small quantities, and having such a unique appearance, is simply too obvious, too easy for police to spot once stolen, and too hard to sell. The thief wants something bland and common.

So by all means get a hitch lock. But don't spend so much that it would guard Fort Knox.

Incidentally, this is a situation where a swing tongue can help a lot. Once the pin is pulled and hidden, and the hitch swung to the side, a thief is going to have a hard time stealing it, even if he has the chain device.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Eskay1

Thanks for the insight. This all makes sense. I wish ours had a swingarm but unfortunately it doesn't. We will keep looking with these points in mind. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
J_Norris
Site Sponsor

We have a pretty simple ball lock as well that doesn’t do much more than deter. We almost never use it except at hotel overnights or when we expect to be away for a while.

You can add some things depending on where and what you’re protecting it from (eg long term unattended storage or short term hotel overnight):
  • We considered adding a wheel lock/wheel clamp on one or both wheels, but instead used log chain lock we already had through the wheel. The chain must be long enough (for us it was an older model of the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and New York Disc Bike Lock). This was for our hotel night when we were getting our new-to-us TM home. This works better at home or in storage because they’re heavy to be toting around.
  • We intentionally have invited our neighbors to park in a way that blocks our TM in, with the understanding that we’ll let them know if we need to get her out. It always takes us several hours to prep her, and they often need the extra parking space.
  • Lowering the stabilizers means another step a thief would need to go through.
  • Shutting off the connection from the battery to the electric tongue jack – on our model we have a removable crank for raising and lowering, so we’ve shut off the power to the tongue jack when storing in the winter and left the removable crank off. It’s just another step/tool for a thief to have. Depending on how you do it, this could interfere with recharging through solar. For us it means we open up to turn it back on before going on a trip, but we always do that anyway.
  • In the winter time I think our cover for snow protection would be daunting for the thief. It’s certainly daunting for me to get on and off because I don’t have a good system yet 😊.
  • It is nice that ours is 16 years old, so it’s not a prime target… but because it would hurt so much to lose her, I specified on our insurance a value enough to cover replacing her with a slightly newer model.
Tacoma 4-door long-bed
J_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Eskay1

Excellent advice. Thank you very much. Yeah, for us it's mainly offiste storage concerns as it will be residing there from time to time. Thank you again!