TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2003, 02:24 PM   #1
CC_Turtle

Default camp ground guides

Hello,

what campground guides do you all use? I am very new at camping with a TM and am not sure how to find the best places to use it in southern california.. what resource do you like the best.. i need info about dogs, ammenities, etc... thanks!
Old 08-11-2003, 04:11 PM   #2

Default Re:camp ground guides

I use the Woodall's Campground Directory, and word of mouth.
Red
Old 08-12-2003, 07:28 AM   #3
CC_Turtle

thanks.. i will check out yahoos.. we mostly camp... and since we are new at having a trailer.. we camp somewhat close to home until i can get used to pulling the trailer.

thanks again,
teresa
Old 08-12-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Windbreaker

Ditto Texas, mostly.

I use the Good Sam's guide and have found it truthful. Just make sure you know how to read it.

Now for the mostly. Some times it is hard for me to understand what someone is trying to tell me about a place. Once a guy said the road to it takes a little getting use to. Translation, plan on driving that last 50 miles at 30 mph. Another time the guy said I never used the showers there, translation - if you do you will die from some little know, very painful disease - most likely rot slowly from the outside inward.

If you can hear what folks are really saying you'll do fine but if you are like me, work on your understanding skills.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
efelker

Windy:

I hear you... I'm from the PA Dutch area. When you'd ask an old farmer for directions they'd usually say, "Oh, it's don the rood a piece." Translation: Drive down this road about 40 miles further.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
Happytrails

Also be careful of Mapquest.com directions, they put us 50 miles out of our way and smack dab in the middle of "sniper alley" in MD during all that mess last October because the directions were completely wrong! Ended up spending the night in a motel due to there not being any campgrounds anywhere close, we had run out of gas at Tyson's Corner in DC, it was drawing on nighttime, (driving on a beltway jam packed with other cars towing a TM isn't much fun at night), and we were completely lost and very tired in the middle of Baltimore, MD!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 08-12-2003, 08:49 PM   #7
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

We have a guide called, "Foghorn Outdoors, California Camping". It divides California into 16 or so regions, so there is probably a section or two, three, etc. that covers the areas you are interested in. It has little icons for each campground that show at a glance the basic facilities -- one of which is a little dog icon for pets. It gives a more in depth narative description that seems a bit more comprehensive than the Woodalls. We picked it up browsing at Barnes and Noble; ISBN 1-56691-486-8 in case you want to look for it on the Internet.

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:49 PM   #8
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

We are in the San Diego area and use the AAA Camping maps. There is one for Southern CA and Northern CA. The map give specific details in a chart form on the back. It gives the campgrounds that allow pets and how much per pet. It catagorizes by National Park, State Park, Forest Service, County Parks and a few private campgrounds. For conventional RV Parks it is best to use Woodalls or similar guide. Go to Camping World and look at the materials available.

What is doesn't tell you, is what the campground looks like or the size of the sites. so you have to take a chance on that. But most government campgrounds are pretty nice. Weekends are going to be full and some take reservations. We prefer not to make reservations but arrive Sunday afternoon or during the week.

Today it was 110 deg F in San Bernardino. I drove up to check out a couple of campgrounds in the mountains there. Temp at Dogwood Forest Service was 86 deg. At Green Valley a little higher up it was 76 deg F. There were plenty of spots available for the week but the weekends are full. Call for information on the AAA map. The roads are steep up to the San Bernadino Mountains, so I hope you have a good tow vehicle. But they aren't far away from you. National Forest, CA State Parks, and National Parks all have websites for information. You will have to consider length of the site required with both trailer and tow vehicle. Sometimes you can overhang the end of the parking spot and sometimes not, due to the trees (at Dogwood Forest Service campground for example). Also it is always good to check at a ranger station for campgrounds and info.

Hope this helps. Happy researching.
Bob W.

BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:24 PM   #9
2619PDX

We use Woodall's and KOA guides. Have been very helpful in our travels...

Gregg
Old 08-13-2003, 08:23 PM   #10
Windbreaker

I'm not overly fond of most KOAs they tend to charge more and don't provide as much as many private campgrounds. Very little local flavor. If you can find a good mom and pop setup that's for me! You find out all of the good stuff in the area that is not in the guide books.