TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2003, 05:06 PM   #1
KdHammonds

Default GMC Safari AWD

We are relatively new TM owners purchasing our TM in Oct. 02. I was initially concerned with towing a 3023 with the Safari, however after over 2,000 miles I am pleased with the combination. The Safari has plenty of HP and performed well even across I-40 through the Appalachians and on up I-75 through Tennessee and KY.

One question I have for the veteran TM owners and specifically anyone towing with a Safari. The backend seems to squat significantly even with a WDH.

Now, I am sure some of you are going to ask what type of WDH hitch I am using. I am a little fuzzy on this one. Since we bought the TM used and it came with the hitch. I believe it is a Reese WDH with friction sway control incorporated into the spring bars. Looking at a tag on one of the spring bars it has a "V5" listed on it and reads:
"350 lb. wt. distributing spring bar
Max. Hitch Wt. (2 Bars) 350#
Max. Gross Trialer Wt. 3500#"

Now... I am assuming the 350# hitch wt. is for both bars together based on the label. I am guessing this is on the light side for the TM. In addition, on our last trip we had the TM weighed and it came in at 3600# hitched to the Safari.

So, I am guessing my hitch set-up is marginally adequate at best. Anyone agree?

Assuming, this set-up is not optimum does anyone have any suggestions? I have been looking at the Equalizer on-line, any opinions? I really want something with sway control integrated into the WDH hitch. Unlike many on this site I have encountered sway with the 3023. My sway incident occurred with 4 bikes loaded on a bike rike attached to the rear bumper. I have since gone to two bikes on the rack. However, I would like the added security of anti-sway as part of my hitch assembly.

I am open to all advice and comments.

Thanks,

Keith