TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Al-n-Sue

Post Adjusting McKesh type mirrors

I said "McKesh type" because I just got the Eagle Vision mirrors from Camping World. They look to be knock offs of McKesh.

In reading numerous posts about mirrors, I remember seeing a note from someone about using a small wood spacer between the door and the window glass to keep the mirror clamp from depressing the rubber seal that is against the window. This seal is actually designed as a "de-mister" for the window and not necessarily to keep water out of the door. None the less, preventing a permanent depression on this seal would be desirable.
Has anyone tried this spacer and what were the results?
I'll be using these new mirrors this weekend so I can report back next week on how they work.
Thanks.
Alan
Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I use such a spacer on my McKesh mirrors. I first used a pencil, but the yellow paint from the pencil rubbed off on the seal. Now I use a dowel. It still depresses the seal quite a bit, but not as much. But despite the seal being bent that much, it has always returned to normal, and the speed at which this happens increases with the air temperature.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Exclamation Mirror report - Tow-n-See vs Eagle Vision (McKesh knockoffs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
II'll be using these new mirrors this weekend so I can report back next week on how they work.
I've used the Tow-n-See on two trips and the Eagle Vision on one - all three trips about 2 1/2 hours or less away. Here's my opinions:

The Tow-n-See are really easy to put on and take off. I found that if I cleaned the TV mirror before I put them on, they stayed on with no problem. I did find that when I put them on after having the vehicle sitting overnight outside, I could not get them to stick - mirrors were too cool and condensation kept forming on them. I found that the mirrors vibrated a little too much for my liking. And since the mirrors are small - about 4"x5" - the vibrating made it a little harder to see clearly at a glance. I like the adjustability - just adjust your electric mirrors and they go with them - but at the same time, it made my regular mirrors pretty much unusable. Plus, the mirrors are not quite long enough to accommodate the 200' rule. (i.e. being able to see a vehicle that is 200 feet behind you)
Conclusion: I will keep these mirrors because they are great for making a quick run to the storage lot to pick up or deliver the trailer, or take it to the dealer for work. But I won't use them on a trip of any length.

The Eagle Vision mirrors work well, even though they tend to vibrate a little. But the mirrors are about 7 or 8 inches square so having a big viewing area allows you to see pretty well what is around you at a glance. Mounting the mirrors turns out to be pretty easy once you have them adjusted to fit your TV. I was disappointed in the quality of some of the adjustment knobs though. They are obviously intended to be hand tightened, but are small and in awkward places so I ended up using pliers. I'd be interestd in seeing some McKesh mirrors to see if they are better quality (should be at $125 a pair vs the $67 I paid at CW). The biggest problem with this type mirror is adjusting them. DW doesn't have enough strength in her hands to untighten the wing nut, adjust the passenger side mirror, and tighten it back up. If I have her sit in the driver's seat and I adjust, it is a little off since she is shorter. I mounted them myself last night in preparation for our trip today, and made probably 10 trips back and forth to get it close. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this, they would be greatly appreciated! On the questoin of mis-shaping the window seal, my seal would not allow a spacer of any kind, so I just clamped it on. I kept the mirrors mounted the whole Memorial Day weekend, and when I took them off, the seals bounced back almost all the way. The next day they were fine.
Conclusion: I'll keep these and use them for all my regular camping trips. They'll be particularly helpful if I can ever afford to take a longer trip!

Best choice? If I could have adjustable towing mirrors from the factory, that is what I would get! Best of all worlds - except maybe price.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is debating about what mirrors to buy. BTW, friends we camp with both lost a slide on mirror on the last trip.

sorry for the long post but I'm an analyst so I analyze!
Cheers
Alan
Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Shlemele

I use the clip on mirrors with the two straps that hug the back of the TV mirrors and clip on the front edges of the TV mirrors. Then I take some clear mailing tape and wrap the straps around the TV mirrors. Looks dorky, but it secures these mirrors and only distorts the TV mirrors a tiny bit. Can't possibly fall off and lose them.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
The Eagle Vision mirrors work well... The biggest problem with this type mirror is adjusting them. DW doesn't have enough strength in her hands to untighten the wing nut ...
Alan
Al - I can't speak to Eagle Vision knockoffs, but on my McKesh mirrors, the wing nut is a one-time adjustment, never to be disturbed again. When the mirrors were new, I used the in-and-out adjustment on the horizontal arm, and the up-and-down adjustment on the diagonal arm, to position the mirror head alongside and at the same level as my Explorer mirrors. That provides a continuous swath of mirror all in the same plane, and that's where they stay. Once in this position, adjustment for different drivers is simply changing the angle of the head, which is pretty easy.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote