TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
buzzgp

Default Front and rear Window leaks 3023

Hi
I'm looking for feedback on leaks to the front end and rear end windows of our 2007 TM3023. When raining hard or washing RV I get water soaking into the window valence and curtains. The rear queen size area window had the most leak.

Anyone have any suggestions. Took it back to the dealer for warranty repair and they assured me it was fixed. When I got it home and started washing it down the same leaks appeared.

Thanks

Buzzgp
Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
mgoblue911

Default 3023 window leaks

We had a similar issue with our 2007 3023. Our diagnosis is that the problem is the caulking between the awning and the trailer is inadequate. If you look, the water infiltration on the front window lines up exactly with where the awning bracket is, right above the window. The bracket blocks access to that seam that needs caulk. It appeared on ours that the caulk ran up to the bracket, stopped, and then continued after the bracket.

Our TM is only 1 year old, and we had it in before for the same problem under warranty. It is back in for an electrical problem, so we are having the dealer fix the caulk/leak problem again. Hopefully correctly this time.

Will keep you posted on the results.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
jpcoll01

Guessing those windows were never meant to take a full on blast from a pressure washer or even a spray from a hose, they are more meant to deal with low/no pressure Rain falling on and draining over them.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
buzzgp

Thanks.

I'm taking it back in tomorrow and I'll mention that to them. I wonder how hard it is to take those outside window covers off?

thanks again

GP
Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Marbet

We recently experienced a similar leak problem on our 2009 2720 model during a heavy rain (more than 2 inches/hour) on the east coast. I did some preventive maintenance on the front window before we left due to some minor evidence of breaks in the caulking and it seems to have held. Unfortunately, I thought the rear window looked OK. I am aware this is a "heavy rainstorm". On our unit there are some trim pieces on top of the flange for the hinge of the covers that need to come off and then the flange to really get the leak at its source. I am a little troubled that a two year old unit would need so much caulking. Does anyone on the forum have a tried and tested brand of caulking to apply after the old material is cleaned off? I don't relish the thought of doing this on a yearly basis. After three 6 week long trips and a number of shorter duration trips we are well pleased with the unit and feel it works as advertised except for this relatively minor difficluty.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoll01 View Post
Guessing those windows were never meant to take a full on blast from a pressure washer or even a spray from a hose, they are more meant to deal with low/no pressure Rain falling on and draining over them.
I don't recommend ever using a pressure washer on your TM. Pressure washing will damage the caulked seams and cause leaks. I think the is why many new TM's have leaks after initial delivery. Everyone wants to pick a new shiny TM and most dealers do not send their most skilled techs to wash them prior to delivery. This results in a "wash person" ( note PC reference) who uses the fastest way to get the road grime accumulated during delivery off aka. pressure washer.