TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #21
Al-n-Sue

Chrysler has a similar vehicle - a hybrid Dodge Durango coming out for 2009. The system was jointly developed by GM and Daimler/Chrysler. The Durango (and upscale sibling Chrysler Aspen) will use the MDS HEMI engine - so you get electric to get you going and move you around town, a 5.7 HEMI to tow with (I think I saw a tow rating of about 7500 lbs) and the MDS engine to give some non-towing highway economy.
And all with a nice (i.e. BIG) pricetag.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #22
Joseph

Default Thanks Al and Sue . . .

I was thinking about the Durango as a possible multi-use vehicle. Towing and everyday duty… For now, I do not have to cross that bridge yet. Amen! The company I work for buys us Dodge Caravans to drive and I have been impressed with how well they hold up. We do not baby them... Wonder how big the price tags are going to be on these machines!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #23
ng2951

Electric has many of the advantages of diesel. Electric motors are torquey little things.

I am not sure how the battery systems are maintained. I am guessing that hybrids aren't as reliant on batteries as pure electric cars are.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #24
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Hybrids use electric motors to boost a bit when you accelerate and they use the electric motor as a generator to put juice back into the batteries as you brake. The idea is to recapture energy that would otherwise be wasted.

The batteries typically don't hold a lot of juice, just enough to help your gas mileage.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
...The batteries typically don't hold a lot of juice, just enough to help your gas mileage...
What I don't know is how many batteries they do use. If you are using lead-acid batts, 3 years is about the typical life in deep south. If they are using a different technology, then life could be much longer.

Either way, if it uses a handful of batts, that might not be too bad when it comes time to change them out. If it uses a bucket load, that might be like buying another engine or two...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
murphyb74

>>Seems there is a Hybrid Tahoe already out

I read a review of the Tahoe hybrid - they had a lot of good things to say about it, including that it does in fact give you 20 mpg or better with city driving. The downside they mentioned is that the regular gas Tahoe starts at $35,530 while the Hybrid Tahoe starts at $50,490!!

As for flex-fuel, My Chevy Suburban is flex-fuel (can run up to E-85). Below is a link to an Edmunds.com test of E-85 vs gas where they found E-85 gave you 20% - 25% less mpg. The owners manual for my Suburban states that towing is not recommended while using E-85.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/altern...3/article.html
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #27
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
What I don't know is how many batteries they do use. If you are using lead-acid batts, 3 years is about the typical life in deep south. If they are using a different technology, then life could be much longer.

Either way, if it uses a handful of batts, that might not be too bad when it comes time to change them out. If it uses a bucket load, that might be like buying another engine or two...

Here's a lot of real world experience:
http://greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #28
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default most current models DON'T use lead-acid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
If they are using a different technology, then life could be much longer....
The battery packs in MOST hybrid cars, e.g., Toyota, Honda, non-plug in Ford Escape, are currently Ni-MH, the same 1.3V (nominal) cells as you use at home. The "Gen-2" Prius had 228 of these cells in Series, arranged in 38 modules of 6 cells each. This offered a nominal maximum voltage of about 275 volts. The current "Gen-3" Prius actually has fewer batteries, using just 28 modules. Same modules, nominal voltage is therefore reduced to about 200 volts. But, the new Toyota systems add a fancy inverter which raises the working voltage to 500v, while the old ones (Gen-1 and Gen-2) just used the battery output voltage unchanged.

Because Ni-MH batteries don't like being drained to a low state of charge, Toyota only runs them down to about minimum level of about 50% charge. This is one area where future "plug-in" hybrids could be made differently-- using either deep-cycle lead-acid types (including Gel cells) which are cheap and reliable but but very heavy for the amount of energy which can be stored and actually used; or lithium-ion, which are expensive but better than NiMH in nearly all other characteristics (max number of charge cycles, energy density, etc.) The big problem with Li-ion right now is, they just wear down over time, typical life expectancy is only 3-4 years.

Nearly ALL technologies are under continuing development: li-ion "thin film", lead acid batteries built with carbon foam, li-ion with silicon nanowires, and etc. Also, lots of research is going into energy storage via flywheels, rather than batteries. The technology is still developing quickly, and some of the aftermarket plug-into-the-wall conversion kits which are already available replace the original battery packs with li-ion as part of their kits.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #29
Dixielou

Al-n-Sue, you can find a most up-to-date article that addresses your original question "Diesel/Flexfuel/Gas..." in the current issue of Motor Trend magazine (July issue page 74). The article is titled "diesel revolution", but after reading this technical and well researched discussion on the subject, it is clear to me that the "diesel revolution" may not be that great a revolution after all--at least not for those of us who tow lighter RV's.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #30
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool semi-OT: Breakthrough in Li-Ion technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
The big problem with Li-ion right now is, they just wear down over time, typical life expectancy is only 3-4 years.
I just saw, on a India-oriented computer/telephony site, that "Hitachi Maxell and a number of universities and firms in Japan have created a design for a Lithium Ion battery that will last 20 times longer than current units." Cheaper, too, replacing the expensive Cobalt with a bunch of nano-manganese something-or-other. Unfortunately, though, actual production is estimated to be at least 4 years away. Full post here: http://www.itexaminer.com/PCs/tabid/...es-longer.aspx