TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
BrianG

Question leveling and faulty jack

Hi all,
I have a 2003 2720 which has 4 of the Le-Sure lift levelers on it. I have read some previous posts where folks suggest to level left to right using blocks, and then front to back with the tongue jack. I'm not very clear as to how one would level with blocks as it doesn't seem possible to roll the entire back up onto a 4 x 4 inch block in cases where the site is fairly unlevel. I have always used the tongue jack to level front to back but always used the side jacks for leveling side to side. I am wondering if it was this kind of pressure on the jack that has caused one of the jacks to "slip" now when I try to crank it under the weight of the trailer when attempting to level from side to side. Any clarification on the side to side leveling with blocks would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering if there is a warranty on those jacks? I have taken it off of the trailer at this point and I'm wondering if it is repairable at an RV service center or something. The jack will still support the weight of the trailer, it just slips when trying to use it to raise/balance the trailer. Thanks in advance for the responses. They are always extremely helpful.
Thanks,
-Brian
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Bob&Karen

We always level with blocks. We have a set of the Giant Orange Legos and use those in conjunction with pieces of boards in varying lengths/thicknesses. Have yet to be in a CG where we are unable to level with blocks/wood. I know the jacks are "supposed" to support the weight, but I'm not sure I'd trust them for any length of time. Just my opinion.

Regards,

Bob
Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
PopBeavers

I don't trust the jacks to carry the full weight of the trailer. I don't want a failing jack in the middle of the night to bounce me out of bed.

I always level right to left by driving up onto a ramp that I construct on the low side. This means that the weight of the trailer is on the wheels and not on the jacks. I only use the jacks on the four corners to prevent rocking motion.

This is what I carry with me for leveling purposes:

2 2x10 green treated planks about 3 feet long
2 wedge shaped ramps about 14 inches long and 3 inches tall
2 bags of Lego blocks

After leveling the wheel on the low side, any blocks that are still left over will get placed under the corner jacks on the low side so that I don't have to crank them to the max position. I usually only lower my corner jacks about 4 to 6 inches, except when storing in the garage, where I just use the front corner jacks.

If I were to need more blocks than I have, I would pick a different site.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Freedom

I don't think the jack is repairable. Here's the site for buying new ones: http://www.liftcoinc.com/index.html?...=Jacks&level=2

As others have stated, drive up onto blocks to get close and use the jacks for your final leveling. We use Lynx Levelers available at Wal*Mart. See picture:
Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
BrianG

Smile Thanks!

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I think I will try the legos. Happy camping to all.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
shunter917
Site Sponsor

I always leveled our TM with the jacks. In fact, I had to when parked in our driveway because the drive slopes downward. By the time I got it leveled front to aft with the jacks, the tongue was off the ground and about waist level.

If you have the scissor jacks that I had, they are made to support the weight of the TM and the TM frame is, too.

The one thing I don't like about our new (non-TM) trailer is you CAN'T level with the jacks - they are stabilizers only. Leveling with blocks is a big pain in my back!
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote