TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Did you do a search on Maxxair? There has been quite a bit of discussion, such as this.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...d.php?t=14413&

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Michoshisho

Thaks for the reply Bill. Yes, I did see several other posts, and all had mixed reviews. One person made some 90 degree angles in the metal support attachments so that it would appropriately set on the roof, anotoher attached to the wood frame instead of vent, and yet another said that wouldn't work since the opening of the vent cover was not as wide as the wood frame around the vent. With the mixed reports and reviews, I figured I'll see if there was anything new, new brands, or new solutions. I'm happy to take advice and lessons learned from all who have gone there. Most of the posts I found were from 2007, so I was wondering if there were any new brands or new ideas. Thanks everyone for your time!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Yes, I installed rain covers over my old 2417. Only did the regular vents, but it was easy.

The covers came with brackets that screw to the aluminum frame, above the mounting frame. They fit below the plastic vent cover, so the cover can close tight. No leakage at all, and I was in some horrendous rains.

I got a new 2417KD, and have purchased covers for both the regular vent, and also the Fantastic vent. The one for the Fantastic Fan is over-sized, for the Fantastic. Have not installed, yet, but it is the same process as before. Once it gets warm consistently, I will put the covers on.

No problem using Maxxaire, or the Camping World brands. They all seem to attach the same way, based on my looking at the units in Camping World.

I guess I should add that, installing exactly the way the mounting hardware came out of the box, I had no problems on the road. Since my trailer is light, and Montana has wide open roads, the vents stayed secure, even at 75 mph into a very strong headwind. I did not alter the mounting brackets at all.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
moaboy

Mounting is easier than it appears. I found a better - more vents -brand than Max Air, but don't recall and I can't get the name at this time. And it was less expensive than the Max. Agree these serve a good purpose. Found mine at a local RV store.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
ChillEDog

How exactly did you mount yours ? Unit open or closed ? I seem to recall you have to open the vent at some point - to secure the screws through the vent frame. So drill holes with unit closed, open unit to open vent, then lower unit to finish mounting ? Or am I over-analyzing ? I've had a vent for some time but can't find the time to mount it. The TM is in my carport so can't really open it. Thanks for any guidance.
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #16
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I installed mine with the camper open so the vents could be opened as needed to drill holes, mount hardware etc. Takes maybe 30 minutes.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
ChillEDog

Thanks. Were you able to do all the drilling etc. by reaching from a ladder, or did you have to climb on the top of the TM ?
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
Sopper

I installed mine with the camper and vent closed. Here is the thread on my vent cover installation:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14607
-P3 Brake Controller
-Numerous Off-Road Modifications
----------------------------------------
2015 Nissan Armada Platinum
-Hopkins INSIGHT Brake Controller
----------------------------------------
2010 Trailmanor 2720
-80 Watt Solar Panel
-40 Gallon Freshwater Tank
Sopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #19
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I believe I opened my TM, opened the vents a bit, then closed the TM. I put a sheet of plywood on the roof, to spread the weight. I then went onto the roof, and screwed the mounts on. Didn't have to go inside again until I was finished on the roof.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #20
Sterman
Site Sponsor

I did pretty much exactly as LoveToCamp did.

I installed the Maxx Air II on the Fantastic fan:

I used the regular Maxx Air covers on the other two vents:

The Maxx II is nice because it is hinged and is bigger for more air movement.

Then there is the "new and improved" Maxx Air Fan/Mate which looks pretty good: