TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2001, 12:25 AM   #1

Default OUR NEW BABY IS HOME AT LAST!

This past Wednesday I went to Super 1, our RV dealer in Conyers Ga for the installation of our Class III load equalizing hitch with sway control.  Thursday morning I had over  2 hours of walk-through on the 3023 and then happily towed it away, returning home through the countryside by Blue Highways until about 40 miles from home when I hit a local leg of I-85 N.  By that time I was more comfortable with the towing process and kicked the speed up to 65 for awhile.  Not one inch of sway, and as many of you have remarked, the TM tracks beautifully.   And my Aerostar 5.00 litre van handled it well, even up some fairly steep hills.

Altogether my rig is about 40 feet long and that is a factor to be reckoned with for someone towing alone as I will be in two more days on the camping trip to SE Michigan from our NE GA mountains.  I dont look forward to sharing the outside lanes of I-75 north with the 18 wheelers but know it cant be helped and feel the car and the TM are well-prepared and equipped.

On my return trip in 2 weeks, I hope to stop at the factory to have the lifts installed which were discussed  in my earlier thread.  I have been reading this site now for about a year and have learned more priceless information than even a MasterCard ad could imagine.  Thanks, Chris, Paul, and all the rest for sharing your thoughts/experiences/advice about this fine TT so generously.  HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THIS SITE, WE WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED A TM!

Old 09-03-2001, 02:47 AM   #2

Default Re: OUR NEW BABY IS HOME AT LAST!

i know your feelings. i just picked up my new 2720 at the factory july 27th and  towed home. what a well behaved trailer. have gone out every other weekend since without any problems or concers secondary to towing. i have not towed over 60mph and stay in the right lane; but i am retired and in no hurry.

enjoy your trailer.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:59 AM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Congratulations, Firefly!

Isn't it a wonderful experience when you find useful help as this site offers and the results are so terrifically positive?  

Now that you're an owner, you'll be able to contribute some of your own experiences to help others newer than you to the joys of camping and owning a TrailManor.

Enjoy happy and safe travels.

Old 09-03-2001, 02:27 PM   #4

Hey Firefly, congradulations on your new trailer. I take it from you post that you will be taking your trip by way of I-75 thru Kentucky. I know you didn't ask for feed-back on that, but if you don't mind me saying, give yourself plenty of time. There is a lot of road construction both north and south of Lexington. Some days, you can just zip right past,,,, other days, you sit for hours.

So, give yourself plenty of time, and keep plenty of gas in your truck, just in case.

Good luck

Mack
Old 09-03-2001, 02:44 PM   #5

Paul, thanks for the welcome--I certainly look forward to the day I know enough about the TM to be able to be helpful to someone else although it will surely be awhile until I can do anything except ask questions.

And, Mack, I really appreciate the heads up on the construction around Lexington--I did this same trip in June, and 75 was a construction mess then, too. (I know they have to do it before winter sets in but it really gets frustrating sometimes, and is one reason I prefer weekend travel. but this time, I dont have a choice.) So, thanks, I WILL indeed keep the tank full and am allowing 2 full days for the 700 mile trip between the Ga mountains and Ann Arbor
Old 09-04-2001, 02:08 AM   #6
arknoah

Firefly,

Let me add my congrats to those you have already received. We formerly lived in Michigan until just a few weeks ago, and now live in Northwest Ohio (Defiance). Indeed the highways are not the best up I-75 or near Detroit as you probably already know. Alllowing two full days is very wise, as even with a well behaved trailer like a TM, towing does get tiring at times. Also feel free to post if you need any help in the area. And if you need any immediate service or at least some more professional advice, our dealer, M & M Camping in Trenton, Michigan (near Detroit) is very good.

We look forward to hearing your first trip report!

F. J. & Ellen
Old 09-04-2001, 01:56 PM   #7

Thanks again, everyone, for the warm wishes, and to you FJ and Ellen for the information about M&M, the TM dealer in Trenton.  (I hope I wont need them, but if I do, it is really good to know they are not far from where I will be!)  I'm a Michigander (GO BLUE!) of many years and look forward to  my first TM camp-out  back in my old stomping grounds near Chelsea with several friends.  Since my original post our plans have changed to a date later in September so now I DO have the luxury of driving  up to Ann Arbor on a weekend which should be a bit less crowded trafficwise.  I know it will be tiring as I will be doing it alone, but after reading this fine board for months, I've learned from it to  plan sensibly--not try to set any speed records, to stop often, and check tires and wheels, bearing temps,  each time I stop. I will let you know how this shakedown cruise  works out in case I learn anything someone else might find useful, and am sure I will also have questions!