TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2004, 07:33 PM   #1
Factor

Default 2003 Montana AWD

Thinking of buying a 2720SL. Wondering about towing it with my 2003 Montana Van that has a tow rating of 3600 lbs. It's an All Wheel Drive. I have towed my pontoon which is about the same weight.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:2003 Montana AWD

[quote author=Texas_Camper link=board=20;threadid=1720;start=msg12087#msg1208 7 date=1077936943]
Where did you tow the pontoon boat? And where do you plan on towing the TM?
Could be a lot different situation.
I think the 3600 # tow limit is not quiet enough if you're going to be leaving the flatlands and heading for the mountains..
[/quote]
Ditto what Texas Camper says.

I have a 2720SL and when even moderately loaded it weighs around 3200-3400. The factory weights are for a bare bones trailer wthout any options (especially moderately heavy things like A/C) and without any user stuff like camping gear, clothing, water (very heavy stuff), and food.

While I genuinely hate to discourage a future TM owner, I'd also hate to say everything will be fine if you're towing right at the tow limits of your vehicle. As TC says, on very flat, low altitude land the Montana minivan would probably do the job. But in hilly, much less mountainous or high altitude environments, the Montana would be really working its little heart out. Here in Colorado, I'm of the position that a 5000 lb towing rating is the minimum for even a 2720SL.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:32 AM   #3
Factor

Default Re:2003 Montana AWD

That was two quick replies - ok, only towed the Pontoon about 100 miles on relatively flat terrain. May have to trade to an Envoy with 6000 lbs. towing capacity. Thanks
John