TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Brifla

Default Storing TM Open vs Closed?

Are there disadvantages to leaving my TM open most of the time while I have it parked at the house? It's nice to be able to do things in the TM when I have a little extra time without having to open and close the camper. I have the battery disconnected so that there isn't a draw from sensors, etc but wonder if there are reasons I should be storing the TM in the closed position.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #2

We usually store ours open most of the time. That way we just keep it plugged in and we keep a small ceramic heater in it during the winter to keep the water lines from freezing. The only disadvantage I have found is you must be more diligent about washing it as it does collect dust and dirt just sitting there.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brifla View Post
I have the battery disconnected so that there isn't a draw from sensors, etc but wonder if there are reasons I should be storing the TM in the closed position.
I can't think of any reason to keep it closed. I have a large garage with a high ceiling so we keep it inside, opened up, and plugged in. It's like having an extra bedroom and grandkids love sleeping in it when they visit. We also use the oven as a second one during big family events like Thanksgiving or Christmas. DW has also been known to send me out there when sinuses cause me to snore too much.

But as you point out, the best thing is that you can go out and do a bit of work on it when you have a few minutes. So my sense is that unless there is a reason to keep it closed, like limited space in the garage, it's a lot more convenient to keep it open.

Keith
Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Whether you store it open or closed (and I can't think of a reason either way), be sure you prop open the refrigerator and freezer doors.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

The only time i feel that closed is a necessary option is when there is potential for extremely high wind. Lower profile catches less wind!

Tim
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Brifla

It sounds like keeping it open most of the time (except when large storms are expected) isn't a problem. Thanks for all the great input!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I suppose it depends on your country location. In Western New York most of us stop camping from October to May. So the TrailManor unit is stored during that time and most times it has to be stored outside.

Storage during high winds, snow, more snow, wet snow, more wet snow, I guess I'm inclined to store the unit closed with an Adco cover over it. The cover helps keep the sunlight off of the vent covers and the water seals on all the edges which I suppose might keep the seals lasting longer.

For those of you who can keep it open most times or even have a garage large enough to store it opened, I envy you. I wish I could do that.

With the winter we had this year, I could have gone camping for New Years Eve and a few more times.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We have stored ours open since it was purchased in 2008 with no issues or problems. We always remove all food but leave everything else ready to go which means very little preparation before a trip.

We store ours with:
1. A Adco Travel Trailer Cover.
2. Winterized in cold months
3. Plugged up to a in yard pedestal with surge protection.
4. Finally it is basically setup just like camping which is nice for being able to check it for problems or do maintenance etc.
5. We also leave Roof Vents open for airing out.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
pauloh

We bought (Nov. 2010) our TM from the original owner who kept it set up most of the time (near Denver, CO) in a yard with a lot of sun. He used it as a place to write and read out of the house. Our top bag seal cracked and sort of dry rotted through last summer, and I think this may be due to overexposure to the sun from this earlier nearly-constant exposure. So if you're going to leave it set up in the sun a lot, perhaps some kind of UV protectant or cover/shade on the bag seal would be a good idea. That is, if I'm not wrong about the cause of the seal cracking like that. Currently holding together with some good-quality gaffer's tape and still seals OK though.
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We leave ours open and keep an Adco cover on it. We also use calcium chloride as a dehumidifier and keep the receptacle full as needed.

For whatever reason, I usually go in it once every 2 weeks or so, I open up the windows when it gets warm to air out, or just need to put/get something in or out of it.