TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Putting the TM and TV on a diet

What things do you do to lighten the load your TM carries. We spend 7 to 8 months traveling with our TM and here are a few things we do.
1. Limit the number of pots and pans, carry two pots instead of a set.
2. Carry only two week supply of can goods
3. Since we move every 2 or 3 days, meats are usually limited to 3 days.
4. Keep the fresh water tank empty while moving. No water in water heater.
5. Daily clothing is keep in totes in the TV. Makes laundry a little easier.
Bedding is stored in the TM, some in small totes.
6. Soda and other liquid refreshment is keep in a cooler in the TV along with unchilled soda. Lunch makings are also kept in the cooler.
7. We don't carry a T.V. Reading or talking is our entrainment.

Each time we go we find a few more things we don't need so they get left at home.

Look at each item that goes into the TV.
Chain saw and axe(s) do you really need them? $5 for a bundle of fire wood is a little pricey but most states or the feds won't let you move firewood. So maybe its not a bad deal.

Generator, here is 50 to 100# quite a few can't do without. For us not needed. Also that 2 to 5 gallon gas can is left home.

Bicycles, get the lightest your budget can afford. For us our riding enjoyment increased.

I carry a Hi-lift, or railroad jack instead of a winch.

Instead of paperbacks we went to e-readers.

We spent from April until September dry camping without hook-ups last year. We did look for national forest CG's that had showers. Some NPS CG's are also getting them.

Disclaimer: the above works for us but may not meet your camping needs.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Great post and awesome ideas.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Thanks for sharing from your experiences. For us, each camping trip brings with it a list of more items we want to pack on our next trip - most of which we really can do without, of course!

I do have a question about the "Hi-lift, or railroad jack instead of a winch" item on the list. I can see the advantage of having a Hi-lift over the usual jack for changing tires but "instead of a winch" ?? How are they related in your functional use?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

ScrubJay -

Similar question about the high-lift jack. I've seen them strapped to the backs of Jeeps and other serious off-road vehicles, and I understand their utility in lifting one corner of the vehicle to get out of deep sand. But on my Jeep, anyway, the ends of the frame rails are exposed at the four corners, so a jack can get to them. Can you really get a high-lift jack under the frame in the middle of the TM, for changing a tire? Or do you also carry a small bottle jack for that task?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Scott O

In our quest to "get away" and simplify life for a short while I am always amazed by the amount of stuff we can't live without! Over time, my list has become rather like yours... (e readers are quite possibly the greatest invention of the past few years!)
Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
ScrubJay -

Similar question about the high-lift jack. I've seen them strapped to the backs of Jeeps and other serious off-road vehicles, and I understand their utility in lifting one corner of the vehicle to get out of deep sand. But on my Jeep, anyway, the ends of the frame rails are exposed at the four corners, so a jack can get to them. Can you really get a high-lift jack under the frame in the middle of the TM, for changing a tire? Or do you also carry a small bottle jack for that task?

Bill
Travlinon's portion of the same question
"I do have a question about the "Hi-lift, or railroad jack instead of a winch" item on the list. I can see the advantage of having a Hi-lift over the usual jack for changing tires but "instead of a winch" ?? How are they related in your functional use?"

The Hi-Lift I have is 5 feet tall and rated for 7000#, I use it as a duel purpose item, lifting much higher then a bottle jack or use it like a come- along. It has no purpose for the TM. Bottle jack or floor jack is the only safe thing to use there. I would not use a Hi-Lift if you never used one before unless there is someone with you that has experience. This is a tool that can get you in trouble faster then a scissors jack. At the same token it is lighter then a winch and won't run down your battery.

If you are going to use the Hi-Lift to change a tire you will need to block the vehicle or the jack will slip while taking the tire on or off.

My main purpose is to have a lighter extraction tool then a winch for the places we go. That said I should recognize the hazard before I need extraction. As far as I know the only ones on the forums who might use such an item are, popbeavers, mr geek and myself.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
PopBeavers

When I was much younger I was in a Boy Scout Explorer post, which was essentially a Jeep off-road club.

Every year we spent two weeks in the Nevada desert, looking for, and finding, ghost towns.

We carried ox-acetelene tanks with cutting and welding heads. We had a high lift jack. We had enough tools to rebuild anything.

On one occasion we removed a frozen Warn all range overdrive, and then welded the spline and gear pieces together.

I have rebuilt manual transmissions around the camp fire. Also rear differentials.

Good thing we had the proper tools with us when we needed them.

As I have said before, most of you do not go where I go.

Someday I will take an extended vacation and run the same trip again that we did so long ago.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
moaboy

Once you are a backpacker it is hard to become insensitive to what an item weighs. I use a light weight, but sturdy cookware set from REI that "nests" into a small space. One of many ways to save weight and space in the TM. And I too carry my heavy, but luxury items, like my generator in my TV. Besides, camping is a bit more fun when one chooses to give up or sacrifice somethings...it adds to the experience to make do, of course that only goes so far....
Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Reminds me of a story I stumbled on while researching different alcoholic beverages for a high school public speaking assignment...

Back in the days of wooden sailing ships there was a company that exported french wine to the Scandinavian countries. They got this brilliant idea to distill the wine, to remove most of the water, and then put the water back in at the other end.

Consumers liked it better before the water was added.

And thus we now have brandy.

But back to the main point.

My TM 2720 weighs 3380 on the axle. Every trip I use everything on-board, not including a few cans of food in case we get stranded for a few days and not counting the few tools that are rarely used.

I do have 408 pounds of water that some of you do not need. For where I go it is necessary. Plus the other 38 gallons in jugs, which is another 323 pounds in the truck.

I know what I have in the TM because every fall at the end of the season I take it all out and wash the entire interior, including removing the drawers.