TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
garyandrene5047

Default Just curious ... Is North Rim Campground Site #14 a Good One!

Hello All ~ Boy it's been some time since I have spoken to the board, but truly hope all are well. Hubby and I are hiking Grand Canyon at the end of May 2011 and have reserved Site #14 (supposedly a premium "great view" site). Has anyone reserved this site or better yet have any pictures of it. It is our understanding that they have re-numbered all the sites in the campground and some of the favorites may have changed. Also, are there any "special" rules and reg's for this campground, outside of the obvious, that we need to know. We will leave there and go to Haviland Lake (Site #42) in Colorado for some fishing/hiking and then on to Mueller State Park Campground (Site #4) in Colorado for more hiking. It will be our first trip of this year, but not the last, for the sweet "t2720sl" and we are truly in need of a little R & R and she in need of an "outing"! We will take pictures of the campsites and post them when we return. Thanks all!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Never stayed there but last year we got snowed on while at the south rim and they hadn't opened the north rim yet. That was around the first week in May last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GCNPSNOWcampcrop.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	5776  

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyandrene5047 View Post
Hello All ~ Boy it's been some time since I have spoken to the board, but truly hope all are well. Hubby and I are hiking Grand Canyon at the end of May 2011 and have reserved Site #14 (supposedly a premium "great view" site). Has anyone reserved this site or better yet have any pictures of it.
We stayed in site 12 or 14 or something like that after hiking to the river about 2 years ago in November (The cabins at Phantom Ranch are great!). Although we were the ONLY group there when we arrived, we were 1 of 3 groups there when we left. Guess where the other 2 groups set up? Right next to us. With their generators. Ugh. So that should tell you something. Picture is attached.

It's a nice view, although trees obstruct some of it while you are sitting at camp -- but if you walk to the edge of the site, you can see some of the North Rim. The sites are also good because they are on the outside, and you don't have anyone behind you. If they are only an extra $10-$15/nt, I'd do it.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GrandCanyonNorthRim.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	5777  
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
garyandrene5047

Default If you have questions, just ask the board!

We just love this board. Any questions that we have always get answered quickly and completely. Thank you both so much. Scrubjaysnest the snow was beautiful and it looks like you were the only ones there at that time ~ not such a bad thing! Shrimpburrito you are a whoot! Okay so now we know and will be prepared for what to expect at the bottom of the Canyon. You are spot on with the site ~ that is #14 which is what we were looking for. Thank you so much for posting it. We were interested in how much of a view you could see from the site as well as what the site looked like and your picture answered our questions quite nicely. We booked this site 6 months ago because it was a premium/very popular site (at a cost of $25/night) but had no idea what we were gettiing. We always prefer outside sites mainly for the privacy factor and are quite relieved and pleased to know that this site offers privacy and quite a bit of "breathing room". Again, can't thank you enough! Take care all.....
Old 04-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Glad to help! Make sure you carry ALOT (at LEAST a gallon per person) on your hike, each way. It's going to be smokin' hot at the river the end of May. At the bottom, it was shorts & T-shirt weather during the day in early November. At the top, there was a little snow on the ground.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
garyandrene5047

Default Helpful Tips!

Absolutely will do ...... Thanks Dave!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyandrene5047 View Post
Hubby and I are hiking Grand Canyon at the end of May 2011 and have reserved Site #14 (supposedly a premium "great view" site)
Morning,
How or where did you go to find a map of the campsites to know you hav e #14???

Thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
garyandrene5047

Default Campsite Picture ....

Hey John ~ If you go to www.recreation.gov, plug in the state name and the campground name, they will locate it for you. Click on the campground name and a bevy of options will come up (i.e., Facility Details, Facility Map, Site List etc.). Click on Facility Map and they will display the campground map layout with all the campsites, there location North-South-East-West and each individual campsite number. You may have to download the upgraded (free) version of the Silverlight map (which they provided for you if you see no numbering on the site plots). But once you click on your desired site a small window will pop up giving you brief details about the site as well as a up-to-date picture of the site itself. Quite useful! We love it. If you have any more questions about how to get the picture, let me know and I would be glad to help. It is quite a useful feature if you are looking for a specific camping experience. That is what I diid with North Rim Campground!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Beak12

Thanks--Web site worked great.