TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
fallsrider

Default TM storage and access questions

Hi, a few more questions about TMs....

Is there any access to the inside floor when they are closed down? If not, do you have to raise both sides to get to things inside? I'm used to a pop-up, and I can get into the floor area with the top down.

How much floor room is there to carry "stuff"? I'm thinking specifically of an older 2518 here.

To load them for a trip, I'm assuming you open it up, load it, then close it down and hit the road?

Is there any outside accessible storage on a 2518? I haven't found any of this model in my area, so I haven't seen on in person yet.

I'm trying to imagine what preparing for a trip would be like. Fridge access, where everything would go, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Bob&Karen

1. No, there is no access to the floor area when the shells are down - both shells have to be raised to gain access to the floor area.

2. Not sure about floor space in a 2518 - we have a 3124KS and have quite a bit of floor space, where we place the two hanging cabinets, microwave, etc.

3. Yep - basically that's how it works - a lot of people will open the day before a trip and turn on the fridge (to pre-cool - it takes quite a while for them to get cold) and load whatever else needs to be taken.

4. I have no idea....

5. When on the road, keep in mind that you have no access to the inside without opening both shells - not easy to have lunch in a rest area with stuff from the fridge, as an example. You could pack and carry a cooler with ice and things for lunch, but that gets to be almost as big a hassle. I find that I have to buy ice just about every day.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Joseph

Since I moved up from a pop-up to a 2720SL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsrider View Post
Hi, a few more questions about TMs....

Is there any access to the inside floor when they are closed down?

1 - Nope

If not, do you have to raise both sides to get to things inside?

2 - Yes

I'm used to a pop-up, and I can get into the floor area with the top down.

3 - That was always nice when I forgot something. Not going to happen with the TM...

How much floor room is there to carry "stuff"? I'm thinking specifically of an older 2518 here.

4 - Some, not much, hanging cabinet goes to the floor when not in use. Slide on mine comes in. Chair takes up space. Your TM may have upgraded tires and or lift kit. If it does not I would suggest, and others may disagree, that you put very little in the TM. See some of the posts on tires. I tow the TM very light. As light as I can....

To load them for a trip, I'm assuming you open it up, load it, then close it down and hit the road?

5 - Open it up, check that every thing works. Things that are in our TM never come out, well almost. Towels, camp clothes, folding chairs, think light stuff that cannot spoil.

Is there any outside accessible storage on a 2518? I haven't found any of this model in my area, so I haven't seen on in person yet.

6 - Do not know. I would think not if the TM has stayed true to form.

I'm trying to imagine what preparing for a trip would be like. Fridge access, where everything would go, etc.

7 - Much like you did with the pop-up I would think. I am a bit old fashioned. I use an ice chest in the back of the truck. I do not even bother with the refrigerator until I get to where I am going. Takes about 12 hours, depending on conditions, for mine to cool. The ice chest keeps things COLD and where I can get to them. All camping gear goes into the back of the truck. See signature.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Hope it helps! PM anytime. Happy Camping!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
RogerR

If you just need to put something in or get to the fridge ( I forgot to turn to 12 volt ) then you can open the front and climb over the end on my 2720, not elegant but quicker than a full setup.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
MariaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If you just need to put something in or get to the fridge ( I forgot to turn to 12 volt ) then you can open the front and climb over the end on my 2720, not elegant but quicker than a full setup.
This is the sort of thing it's nice to have kids for. *G* My 13 yr. old daughter is usually called on to climb over the rear shell since she's petite and light.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I'll put things on/in front of the couch at the end of a trip, so I can just pop the front shell and reach in to grab it before we go to sleep (on returning home). The next day we'll clean out the fridge, etc. by opening up both shells.

Only takes 20-30 seconds or so, but sometimes you just don't want to bother... Then again, when DW leaves the kid's sweatshirts hanging in the wardrobe, guess who spends the 2 mins to get them out?

The only external storage that would be accessible while fully closed would be the bumper storage. I keep a water carrier/short hoses, sewer hoses, and the wheel for the jack back there, as well as the plug adapter for the AC cord, because those are the most likely activities I'll be doing without popping up the shells.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
PopBeavers

This is one of the reasons I have a 22 foot truck (full crew cab with 8 foot bed).

We never have had a reason to open the TM between departure from home until arrival at camp, 4 to 5 hours later.

When we leave home the TM fridge is usually chilled and full of non perishable items, such as the cold beverage of my choice. This is frequently loaded a week in advance.

Perishable items are carried in a Coleman 12 volt cooler inside the truck. We get ice for the ice chest on the way, near our destination.

Upon arrival in camp, the cold beverages are moved from the TM fridge to the ice chest, the perishable items are moved form the 12volt cooler into the TM fridge. the 12 volt cooler will not be used again until we go home, using the same procedure, except that the TM fridge is empty and the door left open on the click for ventilation with a towel inside to catch any moisture..
Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We load up the night before or, if we're behind, the morning of departure.

Not my favorite plan, but sometimes necessary. Twin toddlers sometimes make the best laid plans moot...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
boater454

There's not much storage on the outside of my 2518. There's a small tray in front of the rear bumper that I think may have been added by someone. I keep hotdog sticks, hose, extension cord in there. It's only about 6"x10"x4'. I love the layout though. plenty of floor space inside for camp chairs etc. And it's pretty light weight at only 2190 dry weight.