TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
TM_Matt

Default Optional Fan Not Working / Front Lights

This question is about the front half of the trailer (TV side - 2002 2619). I have checked the switch by the vent and it isn't that.

Gremlin 1 - the "optional" vent/fan is not working. This happens to be over the entry door. It was working before. I haven't tested the voltage here but it seems strange that it would suddenly stop.

Gremlin 2 - the front lights seem to be blowing out bulbs. They were working, then they were not. I found out the bulbs were burned out and it happened twice.

I traced the voltage from the switch at the vent to the lamps and they are all up to snuff.

This all occurred while on battery power, not plugged in (rarely camp with hookups). It was surprising that I would suddenly have two bugs in the electrical. Maybe I did something strange. I did check that the wire from the shell into the trailer was secure.

I have done plenty of searching to try to find out other similar issues but most items point to the switch - which is not the issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I know in my 1997 2720 there is a 12V fuse that is inside the ceiling where the fantastic fan is because I replaced ours last year.

I don't know what to tell you about the front lights.....
Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The powered vent fan won't come on if the lid is closed. There is a cutoff switch somewhere in the lid assembly - it shouldn't be hard to find. This switch has been known to stick.

Re the front lights. Are these the "elegant lamps", with the little shades? These are the lights that are controlled by the switch by the vent, or at least they were in my 2002 2720SL. At any rate, the elegant lamps were known to shake the bulbs during travel, to the point of fracturing the filaments.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
TM_Matt

Thanks all. The fuse looked ok at a glance but I didn't have a continuity meter available at the time. Will have to bring the digital voltmeter on the next outing. The cutoff switch sounds interesting; I definitely tried to turn it on while open. The schema does say there is a fusible link somewhere, too. I remember those from high school car stereo days - dislike them :-)

Yes, the elegant lamps are the ones. Their only saving grace is that you can almost see Archie Bunker or Mr. Cunningham reading with one of those lights. I think I hear 1965 calling wanting them back. I wonder if an LED replacement would be more robust. They're absolutely great for reading.

Side note - are there lower wattage alternatives that people like? I had a trailer that had all 921 bulbs and I put 906 and 912 in a number of places to make the light softer. Don't know the specs of these (1141 I believe? can't recall, sorry). If anyone has one of those "been there" suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks again. Any other ideas, keep 'em coming! I will try to be a good citizen and report back on what actually works but due to schedule will be a few weeks.

Matt