TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
jpcoll01

Default Does anyone know how to identify if my honda odyssey has a tranny cooler.....

In the front of the radiator is a part that looks amazingly like the transmission cooler shown here (http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/odytc.jpg) but I don't really have any way to confirm that is, in-fact, what it is. It doesn't have the factory hitch or anything but I wonder if this may have been installed....I'm not sure if anyone has any experience with this or not but figured it was worth asking, suppose I can take it to the shop and see. Also, thanks to all the advice I've gotten here I ordered a 1k lb WDH today, found a great deal on a reese. I'm excited about getting our new (to us) 2004 Honda Odyssey ready for towing our 2720sl.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My impression, reflected by others in an earlier thread, is that every car that has an automatic transmission has a transmission cooler, and the cooler looks like a small radiator or a finned tube, mounted up front in the airstream somewhere.

I think your real question is whether you have an auxiliary transmission cooler - that is, an extra cooler beyond the one that comes with every autotrans car. It would certainly be reflected on any of the original paperwork, but if you are buying it used, you probably don't have access to that.

I will defer to the Odyssey experts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
jpcoll01

Thanks Bill, I think I figured out that what I was looking at was the power steering cooler, Looking at the ATF Cooler that Honda provides it seems that I could get a much larger one for cheaper that would probably do a much better job. Has anyone else installed an aftermarket ATF cooler? Looks fairly straight forward to do. (besides completely disassembling the front of the van)
Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The Honda web site seems to say that in order to get to even a 3500 pound rating, your Ody needs an aux transmission cooler and an aux power steering cooler. I think you can install both yourself, if you are reasonably handy and have some metric wrenches. There are a couple theories about where to install them - before or after the main coolers. Something about overcooling the fluid in cold weather. When you buy the coolers, look at the instructions and make sure they are specific. In addition, some coolers (the expensive ones, natch) have an internal thermostat of some kind so you get less cooling when that is appropriate, and more at other times.

Do you have a brother-in-law or best buddy who is mechanical? It would probably make the task easier. But more to the point, it would give you more confidence that you have done it right.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I self-installed a factory supplied aux trans cooler package on an 02 Odyssey and, unless they have changed, I think your picture is of the origional power steering cooler. With the Honda package, that cooler is removed and replaced by a shorter power steering cooler so there is room for the aux transmission cooler to be installed. The origional transmission cooler is in the bottom of the radiator and you route the transmission fluid from that to the aux cooler and then back to the transmission. Many Ody owners opted for non-Honda trans coolers however because the one supplied by Honda is rather small. You will find info on http://www.odyclub.com if you are not already aware of that site.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
M3 Rules

I just towed my 3124KB from San Diego to my home about 170 miles away. I pulled it with Ridgeline without WDH. I just placed an order for WDH because I noticed about 2 inch drop in rear wheels when the trailer was attached. I think Odyssey has the similar engine as my Ridgeline and I didn't feel much of strain to my TV during the towing. I was maintaing about 65 miles because it was my first time towing anything. I managed about 55 miles at some hills. I think you can tow 2720 ok with your Ody.
Hope for the best.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
jpcoll01

Thanks for the reply, I installed an aftermarket Tranny cooler just to be safe, I also got a WDH so I think the Odyssey will handle it. Have a good evening...thanks again