TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Mountain Man

Default Closed Trailer Height

I noticed in the 2008 TM brochure, the closed outside height of each model trailer was listed as 65 1/2 inches, whether it had 14 inch tires, or 15 inch tires. I am pretty sure that in other locations on this forum where folks talked about converting their trailers from 14 inch to 15 inch tires, it increased the closed outside height of their units, so are some of the heights listed in the brochure wrong?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
PopBeavers

All other things nominal, going from 14 inch to 15 inch wheels would only chagne the height by about half an inch, depending on the profile of the tires.

I can tell you that my 2005 TM 2720 with lift kit and low profile roof a/c will fit in my garage with a standar height door (7 feet). I have about 3/4 inch to spare.

I drive real slow when the a/c is under the door jam.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

This is one - probably the only - advantage of the side mounted A/C. I have to be really, really careful of the back garage wall (with the rear bumper touching the wall I have about 2 inches between the hitch coupler and the garage door ), but I have lots of room up top!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
This is one - probably the only - advantage of the side mounted A/C. I have to be really, really careful of the back garage wall (with the rear bumper touching the wall I have about 2 inches between the hitch coupler and the garage door ), but I have lots of room up top!
I used to back up and try to guess where the wall was. I hit it, gently, about half the time. The rear hitch receiver hits first, so no damage to the TM.

Now I have a mark on the floor to outline where I want the wheel chock. If I hug the wall on the drivers side I hit the wheel chock every time. I can't see i in the mirrors, but I can feel it when I get there.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We push it the last foot or so by hand, since we have the spare tire on the back.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
All other things nominal, going from 14 inch to 15 inch wheels would only chagne the height by about half an inch, depending on the profile of the tires.

I can tell you that my 2005 TM 2720 with lift kit and low profile roof a/c will fit in my garage with a standar height door (7 feet). I have about 3/4 inch to spare.

I drive real slow when the a/c is under the door jam.

I have a support beam running through the midpoint of my garage. It only provides 79 7/8 inches of clearance. According to the brochure, the 2720 with the low profile A/C is 79 3/4 inches tall, leaving me 1/8 inch clearance, so an extra half inch to an inch could make a big difference in my situation. In my garage, I have length to spare; but the height is very close unless I get a TM without A/C. I could also squeeze out a little cushion by deflating the tires and reinflating them once the A/C clears the beam.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
PopBeavers

You are going to be real close. I just went to the garage to measure mine. I have 82 inches for clearance. By looking in my mirrors, I think my clearance is about 3/4 to an inch as the a/c passes under the door jamb. My estimate would mean that you need an actual height of about 80 inches, not 79 3/4. However, my garage floor is pretty close to level, but there is about a 10 degree, maybe 15 degree slope up in the driveway which changes things a little.

On my 2720 the a/c is just slightly behind the axle. This means that by raising the tongue up that the rear of the a/c would go a little lower, but it likely would not change the height of the front of the a/c very much.

Like I said earlier, I have the stock 14 inch wheels, Marathon tires and the factory lift kit.

Since you will likely be dealing with essentially a flat floor you won't have an issue with the change of angle, so you situation is probably a little better than mine.

The possibility of gaining clearance be deflating the tires a little has come up several times since March 2005 when I became a member, but I do not recall anyone ever documenting he details.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mountain Man -

The brochure is not wrong, because TM puts only one size of tire on each TM model. The height stated in the brochure is the height of the TM with the factory stock tires.

Those of us who choose to upsize our tires - and it is purely our choice - must take the extra half inch into account for ourselves - the factory cannot do it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Mountain Man -

The brochure is not wrong, because TM puts only one size of tire on each TM model. The height stated in the brochure is the height of the TM with the factory stock tires.

Those of us who choose to upsize our tires - and it is purely our choice - must take the extra half inch into account for ourselves - the factory cannot do it.

Bill
I would think the shell of the trailers is very similar from model to model. TM puts 14 inch tires on most models. When TM puts the 15 inch tires on selected models, I would think they would be a little higher, unless TM makes some other modification to those units to keep their overall height the same as the models with 14 inch tires. Going to the factory with a measuring tape and using it on every different model is probably the only way to find out.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I would think the shell of the trailers is very similar from model to model. TM puts 14 inch tires on most models. When TM puts the 15 inch tires on selected models, I would think they would be a little higher
Exactly. If you go the TM website, you'll see that the models with 14 inch tires are spec'ed to have 64-1/2 inch height, and those with 15 inch tires are speced with 65-1/2 inch height. (I would have expected those with bigger tires to be only 1/2 inch taller, but there you have it.) The air conditioner height is then added to the base height.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote