TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
live2shopnc

Default Couple of questions?

Has any one ever used the Bal levelers on a TM? They seem to be nice but I can't find the max. lbs of lift. They just say for light trailers.
Next---Has any one tried cutting the storage cover on the rear bumper. I measured mine with the rear shell closed toady. Looks like if I came in about an inch or so from the back and riped it and put a piano hinge on it I could open it while the trailer was closed and get the sewer hose in and out.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
dennisu

Default Re:Couple of questions?

i have a 2001, 3023 and use the bal leveler. i do not use it each and every time, depending on the situation and terrain that we are camping on. i have not found the weight to be any problem whatsoever.

regarding the rear compartment, i too was going to look into cutting the metal plate and hinging it but found out when looking into it i am able to slide the metal plate off while the tm is closed with no problem. just this past weekend i came back to the tm that we had already closed down for transport and discovered a flat tire. i was able to get into the compartment and get my hydraulic jack out without raising the tm. however, you have to raise the tm to change the tire! oh well.

hopes this helps.

dennis
Old 04-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
ColoradoCop

Plan on getting a lot of dirt into the back compartment if you cut it. Not a really good seal to begin with.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 04-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=live2shopnc link=board=1;threadid=1860;start=msg13197#msg13197 date=1082511052]
Has any one ever used the Bal levelers on a TM? They seem to be nice but I can't find the max. lbs of lift. They just say for light trailers.[/quote]

I use a Bal leveler for my 2720SL. My storage location at home is sloped back to front and side to side. I have to start lifting the curb side with the rear jack until I can slip the Bal leveler under the tire. Then I ratchet the Bal leveler up to level the TM. The tire ends up about 4-5 inches above the ground when the TM is level. I was concerned that leaving the TM jacked up like this without the leveler would eventually put a set into the rubber torsion springs in the axle. I don't use the leveler if there is less than 2" required to level side to side when camping.

[quote author=live2shopnc link=board=1;threadid=1860;start=msg13197#msg13197 date=1082511052]Next---Has any one tried cutting the storage cover on the rear bumper. I measured mine with the rear shell closed toady. Looks like if I came in about an inch or so from the back and riped it and put a piano hinge on it I could open it while the trailer was closed and get the sewer hose in and out.
[/quote]

The older TM's (my '97) had a storage cover made from diamond tread aluminum with a piano hinge in the middle. Dirt was not any more of a problem than it is on the newer units with the solid cover. I have always been able to get the one piece cover off of my '02 an '03 2720SL's even when folded for travel.

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote