TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2003, 11:46 PM   #1
OrangeKid

Default Spell Check

Is it posible to have a spell check funtion added to the board. It would sure help people like me who have a hard time finding our own spellling mistakes.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Spell Check

[quote author=OrangeKid link=board=24;threadid=1550;start=msg10978#msg1097 8 date=1069915605]
Is it posible to have a spell check funtion added to the board. It would sure help people like me who have a hard time finding our own spellling mistakes.
[/quote]

I’m such an awful (not to be confused with awe-full) speller, I find myself using MS Word to compose any posts to catch spelling and then do a cut and paste. A spell checker would definitely be very nice.

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 12:50 PM   #3
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Why doon't you poeple just leern to consentrait butter and thin you won'l have the probblom.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
OrangeKid

I thought of using Word and spell/grammar checking each message but it would be too much hassle. I built-in spell checker would be great.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
Chris
Site Team

We used to have it at one point, but it's difficult to do because of the lack of an available database to use to run the spell checker against. The one we were using went away. I keep checking now and then to see if one becomes available and if one does, we'll install it.
Thanks
Ct..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
rixalex

George Patton couldn’t spell either, and they made a movie about him! If you ever want a good laugh, read some of his early (unedited) letters and other correspondence. It’s a HOOT! Nobody can argue that Patton wasn’t a bright guy, so I say to heck with the spell checker—it’s the content that counts! (BTW, I drafted this on MS Word so you wouldn’t think that I don’t know how to spell!)
Old 12-05-2003, 10:40 AM   #7
efelker

... Sister Mary Elizabeth has got to be sitting somewhere at Happy Acres rolling her eyes. My knuckles still hurt from misspellings.

Ed
Old 12-05-2003, 06:22 PM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Happytrails link=board=18;threadid=1375;start=msg9702#msg9702 date=1064875531]
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
[/quote]

I used a free spellchecker at: http://www.spellcheck.net/ and got the following results.
Quote:
According to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it doesn't matter in what order the letter in a word are, the only iprmoetnt thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mses and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself, but the word as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?
Not the best by far but possibly usable. You need to open it in another window, copy/paste your text and click on spellcheck text. As you can see, it did not correct all of the words but it did detect every incorrectly spelled word. It's interesting, but how practical would it be to use?

MJL

P.S. There are other interesting links from the spellchecker page such as a units converter.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #9
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Chris,

Have you looked at the bulliten board spell checker @ SpellChecker.net http://www.spellchecker.net/ ? Looks like it might work for us. Could you cover the cost of installation from the sponsor donations?

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:15 PM   #10
Chris
Site Team

I may have found another solution that I like. We'll give it a try and see how it goes. It has interface instructions for this board type.
Ct..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote