TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Talking How do you "label" your TM??

When we make reservations online or by phone, most places want to know what kind of RV we have.

In the case of ReserveAmerica, they ask:
--------------------------------
Select Equipment:

*RV/Motorhome
*Pop-up
*Tent
*Trailer
*Truck/SUV/Van
*Caravan/Campervan
---------------------------------

How do you answer that question?

Do you select "Pop-up" or "Trailer"?

I realize that it really doesn't make a difference. I'm just curious how most people identify their TM and why.

I'm also curious how you identify the length of your "Equipment". I recently booked a beach front site at Doheny State Beach. The site that I selected had a max equipment length of 24'. Had I identified my 2720 as 27' long, I would not qualify for the spot.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
mtnguy

That is a neat thing about Trailmanors, you can register it to your advantage. If I wanted a big site, I would list it as a 27 footer. If they had restrictions on the length, then it was a 20 footer. As far as type of RV, I usually said a travel trailer.....which it miraculously becomes shortly after arriving at your campsite.

Chap
Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
cali camping

I agree with Chap. Depends on the circumstance. At California State Parks I call my 2720 a 20 footer, because they typically have a small maximum size trailer limit because of the small spaces in each site (the limitation is usually the size of the asphalt parking space, not the amount of room around that space). The TM obviously does not have a large footprint due to the overhang so it has never been a problem for me.

At other locations, I call it as its labeled...a 27 footer, so I get a larger space.

I always call it Travel Trailer.

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Another reason to call it a 20 footer is because some of the loops in the old public campgrounds have a lot of tight turns around the trees.

I once backed into a site at Pinecrest Lake, CA, and if my total length had been any longer I would not have been able to back in, due to the number of trees that were very near the road and the site driveway.

If they ask, my total length is 20 plus 20, trailer plus truck.

Not only can I let the back hang out past the rear of the driveway, assuming there is no tree in the way, I can swing the tongue around and back the truck up until the truck bumper is almost in contact with the propane tanks. The bed of the truck is lower than the front bunk, so it fits under the TM. So, when parked I need about 36 feet, because usually I can get the rear bumper of the TM to hang back beyond the backstop a little.

If they have larger sites, then suddenly I am 22 feet for the truck plus 27 feet for the TM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
rumbleweed

Default TM Label

Don't label it a pop-up as some places it assumes you can move it around by hand to get into tight spots. Also carefully check the definition of max length. Some campgrounds list a max length and that includes the tow vehicle . One in VA I recently visited had what amounted to a pull off from the camping loop for larger RV's My 2720 and tow vehicle ( 2500 HD crew cab) would not fit in the spot without sticking out in the road.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
larsdennert

Hybrids have beds like tent trailers. Tent trailers have slide outs like toyboxes. Toyboxes have pop up rooms on the roofs. It's blending. I interpret lengths to my advantage too.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
djkeltn

There are a few RV parks out there that discriminate against Pop ups. I would make sure they know what you have and that it converts to a “real” travel trailer. I would hate to run into problems at check in time. Other than that I also use the length that offers an advantage.
We have had some campgrounds in Colorado that actually know about Trailmanors. Guess they are getting more popular in Colorado.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
larsdennert

You can always say, "It's like a HiLo"
Old 01-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Here in the Sierra,

it's all about bears, so I usually start with "hard-sided pop-up". If there's still questions, then I respond to match what they seem to be looking for, and I quote different lengths accordingly:

If they seem to be sneering at pop-ups, or trying to see if I can be squeezed into a tiny site I won't like, then I let them know "it's 27 feet long, full bathroom and kitchen facilities, all-aluminum.... plus the SUV, of course." If they're still saying "hmmm, doesn't sound like you're up to the standards of our other residents", and we STILL want that particular place anyway, then I mention the price. (Sometimes location is everything, even if the resort is kinda snooty.)

Or, if they're banning anything longer than 20 ft, then I say "only 19 feet long, here at home it's always parked in the regular garage with several feet of room to spare."

With the right words, TM qualifies for both cases.