TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2003, 01:46 PM   #1

Default What can a Dodge Caravan pull?

I am interested in a TrailManor and would like to find out from others who have a Dodge Caravan what their experiences are and what size it can pull.

My Caravan is a:
> 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan ES
> 3.8L MPI V6 engine
> 4 speed automatic
> Load & Towing Group III (Heavy Load/Firm Ride Suspension, Trailer Tow Group)

It would be great to hear from as many people as possible.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re: What can a Dodge Caravan pull?

Dave

If you go into the Trailmanor site www.trailmanor.com  select CAMPING & TOWING from the top green bar and the from the drop down list select TOW VEHICLES. If you go way down to the bottom of the page, there are Trailer Life Tow Ratings for vehicles. The only problem is that they only go back to 1999. At least it gives you some idea what the Caravan can tow  for each year. I'm sure that the tow rating is probably about 3500 lbs without looking.

If that doesn't help you out, try calling your local Dodge dealer. I know they have books on tow ratings or can access it on their computer.

Good luck.

BOB sTRONG
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 02:18 PM   #3

Your Dodge Caravan can pull a Trailmanor 2619 or 2720.  Gary_K
Old 05-23-2003, 06:00 AM   #4
Bruce

<Even on the alt.rv-popup trailers newsgroup, there was lots of disapproval and I got lots of flack when I said I pulled my pop-up with a front wheel drive van. >

I wonder why they would get their undies in a bunch about towing a pop-up with a Caravan?
  We had a Coleman Sante Fe (a mid sized queen/double bed pop-up) and never had any problem towing it with my old 86 Caravan with the 3.0 engine and no trailer package.
  I have seen 2720's towed with the newer more powerful Caravans and the owners reported no problems. Just be sure you have a wd hitch to help transfer weight to the front wheels.

Bruce
Old 05-23-2003, 05:15 PM   #5
Wrench

I pull a 1995 3023 with rooftop AC with my 1999 AWD Grand Caravan equipped with the 3.8L engine and 4-speed transmission. I added an auxilliary tranmission cooler and run a K&N air filter with the airbox restrictor removed for a bit more power. I have an equalizing hitch. I've had no sway, handling or braking issues, although the GC uses up brakes pretty regularly, so I keep an eye on the pad condition to be sure they have lots of life left. Typical trip mileage has been 13-15 mpg. My trips invariably lead me into the mountains, so that's why the mileage is not so great. My only complaint is power in the hills and cooling capacity. It'll always pull the unit, but I've found myself at full throttle just maintaining 45 mph under extreme conditions. Making matters worse is the undersized radiator, which cannot be increased. You'll find the temp gauge will determine your speed in the hills on hot summer days. I've never had to stop because of a severely overheated engine, but I'll sometimes have to reduce speed in the hills on 95 deg. days to keep the temp gauge from reaching all the way to hot. Slowing down for a while has always let the temp drop.

The vehicle is clearly marginal for pulling a 3023, but I've always made it there and back, and have always felt safe.

eric
Old 05-28-2003, 04:35 AM   #6
kbrcmh

We have the same van and a 2720 trailmanor.  We pulled it with the w/d hitch last year and it did not do well.  It is okay for short distances and no hills, but we will not pull it very far or any large hills.  The transmission will need to be replaced soon.  We did have 5 good size people in the van while towing which increased the problem.  We just bought a 2002 Astro van that we are going to pull it with now.  If we had it to do again, we would not have pulled it with the Grand Caravan at all.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
Happytrails

I'm not real familiar with the caravan's, but do know I've been told by transmission shops that the cherokee's and grand cherokee's transmissions won't hold up well to towing. Dunno if they use the same transmissions in them as they do the caravan, but it's something to look into. (They are both ultimately Chrysler products tho). Does anyone know if they do indeed use the same transmission? Just curious.......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails............[/glow]