TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2003, 02:38 AM   #1
oilspot

Default Solar Panels on TM??

Has anybody tried installing solar panels on their TM yet?

I had a cheap solar panel on my pop-up and extended my boondocking by at about an extra day, plus it kept the battery charged when I wasn't using the trailer.

I bought another solar panel for my TM and have been contemplating various ways to install the panel and route the wires.

Before I get started (sometime this spring) I thought I would solicit advice from the TM Collective.

Anybody have any experiences with solar panels they can share?
Old 01-01-2003, 05:45 AM   #2
Larry_Loo

Default Re: Solar Panels on TM??

Oilspot,

John Irwin, who used to have a TM site on his website, installed solar panels on his TM trailer. Unfortunately, he's now towing another brand of trailer and removed all of the TM hints and tips from his website. Perhaps, you might mail John directly and ask him to share his info with you. Also, "Hal" (Swanson), who may still be one of the national officers of "TrailBlazers," may have information about solar panel installations on TMs.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:40 AM   #3
PAUL_R

you can reach john via airstream/motorhome forum.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:37 AM   #4
Bruce

I have installed 2 80 watt solar panels on our 3124.
Run a search on this site for "solar panels" and you should be able to find the piece I wrote. I believe it is in the Old TM Discussion page.
They work great, by the way, for our boondocking adventures.

Bruce
Old 01-07-2003, 04:01 AM   #5
2619PDX

Thanks, Bruce and Oilspot. I have been also pondering the idea of adding solar panels to my 2619 TM.

Bruce - how far back should we look for your article?

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 01-07-2003, 04:19 AM   #6
hal

Try a search on "Solar Panel".  See search engine at top of page.

Hal
Old 01-07-2003, 04:45 AM   #7
2619PDX

Just tried that. It doesn't bring up what Bruce was referring to, thus the question.
But thanks!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:20 AM   #8
Bruce

OK Gregg & Hal, I just found my old article re. my solar panel installation. You cannot search for it from the search button at the top of this page - you need to go to the Old TM Discussion Page by clicking on it once you pull up the TM Index. Then hit search there and type in "solar panel" and it will pull up a few matches.
I tried copying my article while I was there and I'll see if I can paste it here and save you the trouble (though you may want to see the other letters also).

I have mounted 2 80 watt solar panels on the front section roof of our TM. I also added a rack for 2 extra deep cycle batteries behind the propane bottles giving us 3 batteries total. The system works very well. The batteries never go below the 2nd light on the battery tester panel which I suppose is 80% charge or so. Batteries will last much longer if they are never deeply discharged. I had to adjust the torsion bars after installing the panels but the roof lifts up OK. I attached the right side (opposite of the antenna) of the panels to the edge of the roof right over the white rubber seal. There is an aluminum support under this section which allows you to drill and insert sheet metal screws. For the middle of the roof I used a piece of 3" X 22" flat aluminum stock for each 22" wide panel. I attached the panel legs to the stock with pop rivets and then glued the aluminum down to the roof with Liquid Nails. With this method there are no holes in the middle of the roof to worry about. I sealed the screws on the edge with elastomer sealant. I ran the cable down the right side with plastic cable guides screwed into the roof edge. I then ran it halfway across the bottom front portion of the upper shell and from there to the regulator mounted on the front of the tongue just behind the hitch. When the unit is opened the cable runs straight down to the regulator and when it is closed the cable nestles in between the propane bottles. We have boondocked for weeks at a time with this setup. Given our moderate electrical useage I think our system is a bit overpowered but it maintains full charge with only a few hours of sunlight a day. Better too much than too little. I purchased my setup from RV Solar Electric, (800 999-8520), in Scottsdale, Az. Their prices are good and their followup service is excellent. They publish a booklet on how to install solar panels an RV and how to size your system.

Guess it worked!
email me if you have any specific questions.

Bruce
Old 01-08-2003, 03:16 AM   #9
2619PDX

THANK YOU Bruce! This is VERY helpful.
What kind of weight did that add? Have you noticed any effects when towing from the added weight? Any problems when pulling the front section up?

I guess what I'm asking is - Is there a downside? Prior to my doing this. And I am convinced I need to do it.

Next question, since you have experience with Solar panels. I live in Oregon where it's cloudy more during the  winter, spring and fall, than it is sunny. We do camp during these times. Will the solar panels still be effective at keeping the batteries topped off?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #10
Bruce

Gregg,
  How much weight did it add? Well each battery is appx 50-60 lbs, so 2 extra batteries or 3 if you count the one in the cabinet inside. The 80 watt panels are not very heavy, probably 10 lbs apiece. I would guess 170-200 lbs total. I think the rule of thumb is 1 panel and 1 battery per person.
  I do not notice any difference in towing from the weight, but, of course, all weight adds to your  total load. The one time we had our rig weighed it was at 4800#, just 200# below the allowable max.
   The shell is a little more difficult to pull up (but it  goes down real easy). If I had it to do again I would place the 2 panels on opposite sides of the front roof rather than both on one side so the weight is better distributed.
  I had  a local welder fabricate the  battery box for the 2 extra batteries behind the propane bottles. Keep in mind the batteries must be mounted low enough to clear the slide out - if you have a slide out model that is.
  Solar panels are great to have if you want to boondock in some of those beautiful primitive national forest campgrounds in peace & quiet. They are not so good if you are camping in places that offer elec. for a few $ more. Once you factor in the cost of running your fridge on propane and your water heater, if you have a dual mode heater, or the cost of running the furnace vs. a little electric heater the cost savings is very small.
  I have made the mistake also of pulling into state park campgrounds and taking a site without elec. just because I have so much invested in the solar setup and so I want to use it and save as much as possible. The weather maybe mild when we pull in on a weekday but then the weekend comes and it is hotter than blazes and there we are stuck with no AC and all the sites are now full!
  Of course if you're boondocking running the AC is going to require a really big generator or 2; something I'm not willing to put up with. If we see the weather really heating up we head for a full service campground.
  One thing that really helps with cooling is a Fantastic Fan. You can even set the fan on exhaust, close all windows except one and hang a wet towel in front of the window to give you evaporative cooling.
  Solar panels will generate some elec. when it is cloudy or overcast. If your system is slightly oversized you should be fine on cloudy days. One good day of  sunshine will charge the batteries back up again. It is a really neat feeling to realize all your elec. power is being gererated by the sun.
  It might be wise to read the book "RVers' Guide to Solar Battery Charging" by Noel Kirkby, available from RV Solar Electric Co. before making the leap.

Hope  this helps,
Bruce