TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Pikes Peak sunrise photos: Snow at the end of Summer

Some years in Colorado we go straight from Summer into Winter. Two fairly major snowstorms passed through Colorado this week right as Summer officially ended. Got some really nice pics of the sunrise hitting the peak just before and just after the 2nd storm and thought they'd be of particular interest to the Jubilee attendees. (you can click on either of these images to get a much larger image). FWIW, both pics were taken from my bedroom window in my house on the east side of Colorado Springs. Yep, this is the view I get to see every morning when I get up.

This pic was taken on the last day of summer (9/22/06) during a very momentary break between the storms. I was rather fortunate to capture the golden light on the incoming clouds and snow left by the first storm.

This pic was taken this morning (9/23/06) and captured the lovely pink color of the peak just as the sun first hit it. I really like the contrast with the very bluish snow that's still in the shadows. The snow level was quite low...right around 6500 feet...barely missed having snow at my house which is at 6300 feet.

Many of the higher regions in the central mountains got around 20 inches from these two storms...a 50 mile stretch of Interstate 70 was closed twice during the week due to blizzrd conditions/blowing snow combined with ice and snow pack. Totally snarled all cross-state travel. But the ski areas may be able to open by the end of the month! WooHoo!

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Catawbalea

Welcome to Fall.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Pikes Peak

We were there the last week of August; Manitou Springs, in a small rental house near the entrance to Garden of the Red Rocks, ..ermm, Gods. A strong wave of storms rolled thru during our 2nd last day. When the cloud cover lifted, whilst drinking "sweet tea"* on our deck, we noted that the top 3000 feet or so of the Peak was mottled white with snow. Air temp at 6300 feet had gotten down to the mid 50's. The Peak had to have been near 20 deg. F. Next morning the Peak was snowless.

No useable pics to show, but yours are very, very good! May I copy them and show my adult children(via email) why they need to visit "The Springs" area?

Denny_A
*Just kidding. Scotch rocks, actually
Old 09-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_A View Post
We were there the last week of August; Manitou Springs, in a small rental house near the entrance to Garden of the Red Rocks, ..ermm, Gods. A strong wave of storms rolled thru during our 2nd last day. When the cloud cover lifted, whilst drinking "sweet tea"* on our deck, we noted that the top 3000 feet or so of the Peak was mottled white with snow. Air temp at 6300 feet had gotten down to the mid 50's. The Peak had to have been near 20 deg. F. Next morning the Peak was snowless.

No useable pics to show, but yours are very, very good! May I copy them and show my adult children(via email) why they need to visit "The Springs" area?

Denny_A
*Just kidding. Scotch rocks, actually
Appreciate the compliment...feel free to copy the photo files and send to your family members!

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Wow, nice view! Nice pictures, too!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Ohhhhhhhhh PRETTY!!!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote