TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2022, 09:44 PM   #11
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Good choice. Everything that you buy now has a USB connector anyway. You can get some direct replacement plates with 6 USB outlets. Those big ugly, round 12V outlets are leftovers from the 60's.
Thank you sir.
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:08 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You make a good point. There are lots of TVs that can be powered from a 12-volt source, but finding a TV that can be powered from a USB port (5 volts) may be hard. A quick search this morning didn't turn up any. Beyond that, a small TV may use about 35-40 watts of power. This is about 3 amps of current from a 12-volt source, which is easy. But it is about 7-8 amps from a 5-volt source, and not many USB chargers that can supply that much current. I've found a couple, but of course they plug into an ordinary house power wall plug - 120 VAC - and if you have house power available, you would just run your TV from that.

So finding a USB-powered TV will be difficult on both the voltage and the current requirement. If anyone finds one, let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

There are many portable computer monitors of reasonable size (15") that are powered by the new USB-C connection. Some laptops also run/charge with one. It's much smaller than the old USB connector...more akin to the Apple Lightning connector.

So there may very well be a USB-C powered TV. ANYTHING would be better than those cigarette sockets. They're awful. They can even get pretty warm drawing a few amps over a longer period of time (hours). They were designed to light something on fire by generating heat, not as a way of distributing power.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
So there may very well be a USB-C powered TV.

Dave
I don't mean to be argumentative, but my question is still this:

Suppose you can find a USB-C powered TV - in other words, it runs on the USB voltage of 5 volts DC, not 12 volts DC

and

Suppose you can find a USB-C charging device that produces enough power at 5 volts DC to run the TV

then

Where does this charging device get its input power? If you have to plug the USB-C charging device into a 120VAC wall socket, then you might as well plug your TV into the wall socket.

Is there a USB-C charging device that runs on 12 VDC input, and does not plug into a cigarette-lighter socket? I haven't found any.

Can you find a USB-C charging device that is hard-wired into your 12VDC source in the camper? On a quick search, I found only one, but I don't think it could provide enough output power to run TV. And you have to cut a hole in the mounting surface. Once you have decided to cut a hole, wouldn't it be easier to simply mount a properly-sized cigarette lighter socket?

Am I missing something here?

Bill
Old 11-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #15
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Bill,

Great questions.

My particular monitor is 15.6", and also has built-in speakers, an amazing feat given it's incredibly thin -- the screen part is certainly less than 1/4" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FWN57DG). It is powered exclusively by a USB-C connection, which appears to have a maximum output of 15 watts at 5VDC (https://www.asme.org/topics-resource...power-delivery).

Yes, there are indeed hard-wired 12-volt powered USB-C ports. There are lots, in fact -- this one is an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Ouffu.../dp/B092M6S98V

Pretty easy to mount, it appears, and then would simply connect to the TM 12V wiring.

You'll note that the USB-C port on that particular one has a "PD" marking -- that means "Power Delivery", and according to the above ASME website, it can supply up to 100 watts, with a variable voltage up to 20 VDC. (However, that particular one says it only goes up to 20 watts, so apparently there are exceptions to the PD standard; this one supplies up to 65 watts: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3WVFKN1)

The voltage setting is determined by communication with the connected device. According to the ASME website:

Quote:
USB Power Delivery establishes operating protocols to ensure that the higher voltage available in the recent USB releases does not damage legacy equipment which was designed for 5 V operation. The USB Power Delivery requires conforming equipment to initially deliver 5 V at a maximum of 900 mA to the load to prevent such damage. Communication between the load and the power source can then establish a higher maximum load current and greater operating voltage. If no communication ensues after connecting the load and the power supply, then the power supply configuration remains at 5 V and 900 mA maximum load current capacity. If communication between the load and the power supply is lost after it has been established, then the power supply will safely revert back to the 5 V and 900 mA configuration.
USB-C is a pretty amazing protocol. I'm not sure why they even call it USB, because it is far more capable than legacy USB ports. Not only do they have faster data transfer, but they're just more versatile. I have a seemingly hardware-driven USB-C docking station for laptop that connects ethernet, 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse, scanner, DVD drive, and external speakers -- and they are connected to the laptop with a single USB-C connection. It's incredible. A far cry from the $200+ proprietary docking stations that had special connectors with a zillion pins.

So....times have changed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 03:36 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Wow, I missed this development altogether. Thanks for bringing me up to modern times. I will dig deeper for my own knowledge, but I'm truly impressed with the capability.

Thanks again

Bill