TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Default Bathroom Wall Warp

So, the photos below show a substantial gap between the bathroom door and wall on our 2005 2720. Measurements show that the wall seems to be warped, not the door. Additionally there is a gap between the front bathroom wall and the sink wall. Has anyone dealt with this, and found a cure? Is it shell alignment, box alignment, something else?

The photos below show the door to wall gap, the sink to wall gap when we are set up, and a level on the bathroom wall at the door.

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02568.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	18741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02569.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	18742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02574.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	18743   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02576.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	18744  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

One thought comes to mind; when we lift the top bathroom wall from its closed position it is necessary to push that wall gently toward the street side until it seats firmly. If the lifted section of wall is not pushed back that could explain the misalignment of the hallway part of the bathroom wall. The other thing I noticed from your photos has to do with the position of both latches. On occasion our latches would not seat properly and that tends to push walls out of alignment. Try gently pushing the wall sections that meet the latches back and forth until you feel them seat, then secure the latch. The space you see between the raised wall and the kitchen sink could be caused by a misaligned piano hinge. That should be fairly easy to note when the wall is collapsed.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I had a similar problem. The slide for the hinge of the top/front bathroom wall had pulled off and over the screws, allowing the whole thing to flex. I screwed it back in place with extra screws and the bathroom lines up a lot better.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Thanks for quick responses. Our latches often open up, and certainly we would like to find a better latch, but we do not believe that is contributory. If you "set" the latches perfectly and back away, the gap is still there. We had not thought of the piano hinge....that is a good place to investigate. We need to also check the slide for the front wall. I think it is OK, but it is worth checking. We had to close up the TM and park it in it's covered "garage" for a few days, but really want to get back to this issue soon. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I had a similar problem. The slide for the hinge of the top/front bathroom wall had pulled off and over the screws, allowing the whole thing to flex. I screwed it back in place with extra screws and the bathroom lines up a lot better.
Similarly, check the little formica covered counter top ledge that is against the front bathroom wall. On the right hand side looking at the bathroom sink. See if it is firmly in place and sitting level, because it is attached to the wooden slide and piano hinge mechanism. Actually I think it was the main attachment point for the front bathroom wall to the sliding hinge. Ours was attached underneath with staples and they pulled loose causing alignment trouble. But easily fixed with some flush head wood screws through the back edge of the ledge.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Thanks, Oldstick. We will check it as well, when we can get the TM open again. We really don't think we have a loose hinge, or problem in the wall hinges - we are pretty careful about keeping things assembled and tight; BUT we did not specifically check that area, so the entire bathroom assemlby needs to be looked at. The more ideas, the merrier.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Stolz321

Question bathroom wall hinge haas pulled away. How do I fix it?

Has any one had problems with the hinge of the bathroom wall by the back bed? In ours the hinge has pulled of and I don't know how to fix the wood so it doesnt happen again.
Stolz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Stolz -

Which half of the hinge pulled out - the half that is screwed down into the framing that holds the under-wall push-button switch? Or the half that is screwed into the underside of the folding wall panel?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #9
FlyboyTR

In the picture showing the top of the door it is obvious (as others have noted) that the latch is not pulling tight enough so that you can properly align the door and wall frame when tightening the latch. We had the same problem.

It is not a good idea to try to move a latch by a 1/16 of an inch. I wanted to use a piece of thin weatherstripping and apply it to the door frame side/end. Everything I had in the shop was at least 1/4" thick. Not good. So as usual....wife Kathy to the rescue. She walked away and returned with the perfect answer...

She handed me a koozie that was made of a thin, fairly soft foam. I cut out a piece and stuck it between the mating surfaces. Perfect. I then cut it to size and applied it to the door frame end using double sided tape. Now, the joint is tight.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #10
Camping Carpenters
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the idea Flyboy! I had thought about new latches, but would not try to move them on these flimsy walls. For now, I have added a couple wraps of electrical tape to the latch spring mating surface of all 3 latches. They are all tighter, but we still have a gap. My wife has confirmed the wall is the culprit, the door is true. It is better now and I need to come up with a permanent latch "fix", but 15 years of up and down and road miles, and the wall has gotten a slight bow. This trailer had a tough life before we got it 2 yrs ago. Thanks!