TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
myersm

Default Damaged Awning Extension Arms

Seeking Awning experts...

I bought my used 2002 3023 a few years ago. At that time the awning would not close completely. The red closure indicators would retract, but the awning still hung out a bit. So this week I decided to adjust the Shock Absorbers and see if I could get the awning to close flush.
Upon inspection of the the extension arms at the connection to the shock absorbers, I found that both of the arms have torn pieces of metal sticking up at the upper connection point. Looks like someone was hanging onthe awning without any support arms attached.
So my plan is to extend the awning, and remove both shock absorbers and the extension arms and attemptto rebuild them.
Has anyone removed, replaced or repaired the extension arms before? Any tips?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
klv5920

In the Fiamma booklet, turning the top bolts at the end of the shock absorbers clockwise or counter clockwise adjusts the level of the awning when rolling out so it is even. Maybe this would tighten the roll so it pulls in where it should be?? Just something for you to try before you get into all the disassembly.
Sure hope this helps or maybe you can get info from the manufacturer. And the shock absorbers are replaceable.

Karen
Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
myersm

Thanks Karen... I was in the process of adjusting the bolts on the shock absorber when I saw the damage. I think the torn metal is keeping the arms pushed out, and not letting the awning retract all the way. I'll know g=for sure once i pull th e whole assembly out.
2002 3023
2002 Chevy Avalanche
Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
klv5920

There was info on the Fiamma web site also with videos.
sure hope you get 'er fixed without too much trouble.

Karen
Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
rumbleweed

Despite beinng told it`s ok by my dealer and seeing others do it, I never unroll my awning more than about a foot without supporting the end rail. Extending without supporting is tough on the arms and even tougher on the mounting points on the roof of the TM. If you do the math, the torque on the mounting points is very high.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Despite beinng told it`s ok by my dealer and seeing others do it, I never unroll my awning more than about a foot without supporting the end rail. Extending without supporting is tough on the arms and even tougher on the mounting points on the roof of the TM. If you do the math, the torque on the mounting points is very high.
Meh, you'd really be surprised. At least on my TM, the mounting rails are solidly fixed to the support channels on the corners of the roof. They're not going anywhere. I roll it out far enough to reach, then pull out the support legs. Not at all worried about the TM attachment point, although I can definitely see your point on straining the arms, I think they're designed to handle the weight. I lift the awning on and off every time, the whole thing doesn't weigh so much that just the end weight of that rail seems like quite a bit less than the arms should be able to handle if, say, a breeze should come along, or a hard rain. While we all know to roll it up if the weather turns sour, they still need to engineer in some strength to the system; my understanding is that weather related damage is usually to the fabric first, rather than the arms, telling me that the arms are actually well engineered.

Just my opinion and experience, but again that connection to the TM is solid, at least on my model (2009).
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
brulaz

I thought the shock absorbers or springs were designed to bear the weight of the arms and awning fabric as you open it? It certainly bounces a bit, protecting the body mount from too much torque?

I've always opened it all the way without any support and only then propped it up with the legs.

So far no problem, and it's sooo easy compared to other awning systems
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
myersm

I also thought the shock absorbers would compensate for just about any "normal" camping situation... but given the damage on the extension arms, now I'm wondering how much weight and stress the system can really absorb.
In any case, I'm going to pull it all out and see if I can separate the damaged Extension Arms and get them welded back into shape.
2002 3023
2002 Chevy Avalanche
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
brulaz

My guess is that the awning met up with a severe wind gust at some point in its life. I can't imagine that damage happening during normal operation of opening and closing.

But I too would think that the fabric would have gone first.

Anyway, looking at the photo again, you may need to replace those arms. There looks to be a lot of warped metal around the joint as well as the strip sticking out. Perhaps you can "make do" with just removing the metal strip. It will not be as strong as new, but maybe would work for a long time if you're careful.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
myersm

I priced the Extension Arms from Fiamma this morning... $204 a piece, plus shipping. I'm going to pull then out this weekend to get a better look. If I can't repair and weld them, then I'llorder the new units. I need to get it fixed. I'm fearful of the awning popping open while I'm on the interstate... that would be a mess!
2002 3023
2002 Chevy Avalanche