TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2002, 08:29 AM   #1

Default Routing of TV cable

Last week we were at a progressive campground that had cable connections at each site and even loaned us 30 ft. of coax at n/c. However, we ran the cable under the door to the TV on the counter top above the refer and kept tripping over it.
So, I have two questions: 1. is there a snappy way to route coax from the outside on the port (drivers) side of the RV inside to the counter top?. I've seen the flat TV cable piece from Camping World but it seems pricey at around $11.
Hope someone has already solved this problem.
2. In your experience would one 25 ft. piece of coax be sufficient for most campsites or would two 25 ft. pieces be better.

Dick_B
Old 04-07-2002, 08:51 AM   #2

Default Re: Routing of TV cable

[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]  : ;Dwe ran our cable on the refrigerator side under the velcro flap. it worked great.  

bett
Old 04-07-2002, 12:26 PM   #3

The Winegard RV antenna instructions show a cable input jack on the backside of the amplified wallplate.  Has anyone physically identified and used it?

If this is not available I suggest to mount a passthrough jack on this plate and bring a short piece of co-ax to another jack into the compartment at the backside of the refrigerator, accessable using the upper cover on the left outside of the unit.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

You will find that running the co-ax under the velcro flap on the 'curb' side of the trailer is the best solution, IF you place your TV on that side of the trailer. That is the way we handled it, too.

(Addition 4/8/02)  If you trace the wire coming from the antenna, you'll find it comes out of the top half, runs externally down one of the arms on the street side, and back into the trailer from underneath.  At one point, on ours, I found a "barrel coupler" connecting the lead coming from the antenna to the lead going into the trailer.  The cable has 'F' connectors (screw-on type) on all end.  You can get a "T" connector at Radio Shack (under $5) and insert it at this point, which effectively give you a connection on the outside of the trailer to connect park TV service to.  Carry a 25' extension with 'F' connectors on both ends and you'll be set.

Regarding the Winegard signal amplifier, I found that when attached to a cable system at an RV park, I had to turn the amplifier off, because it 'boosted' the incoming signal too much, causing gross distortion of the picture. The amplifier is intended to 'boost' the signal from the antenna only, when you are in 'fringe reception' areas.

If you use a satellite dish, as we do now, you need to find another way to get the signal from the dish to the TV. Because of the signal and voltage used in the sat. system, the Winegard amplifier board (in on or off position) will not allow the dish signal to pass. I'm installing a cable in my new trailer exclusively for the sat. system. :

I hope this add'l information is helpful.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:39 AM   #5

On our TM, on the street side, there is a short part of the cable that hangs down right where the supporting arms are in the center of the camper.  There is a coax connector that joins two pieces of the cable.  I just unscrew those pieces and connect the cable to the end that goes underneath the camper to the booster.  We haven't had any problems watching the cable with that hookup.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:55 AM   #6
arknoah

We, too have just run our cable up and closed the velcro over it.  It worked very well, but I'm going to check out today if there is a bit of the cable outside the vehicle on the street side.  
Old 04-08-2002, 04:33 PM   #7

My '98 2720 also had the connector on the street side as mentioned by Trainguy.
Also as mentioned by Paul Heuvelhorst, the amplifier had to be turned off.
The basic setup is that the coax from the antenna is routed down through the support arm of the front shell and at the connector is hooked up to a coax dropping down from the amplified jack plate.
If the amplifier is only needed in some situations, it seems a Y could be placed prior to the ampilfier and another jack plate located in the camper. This would allow for hooking the TV up to a satellite or park cable by disconnecting the coupling outside and using the new jack plate. Otherwise, the antenna could be used from the factory supplied jack plate. Or just a second jack plate connected to a drop that would come out near the existing one for cable/satellite use.Just a thought.
Happy camping.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:02 AM   #8
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

We also just run the cable under the velcro flap. We like this way because we only have to make two connections.

Also, each connection you go thru will degrade the signal slightly.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 07:09 AM   #9
Bruce

I wanted a tv antenna connection on the outside curb side of our TM next to the 12v outlet I installed so we could watch tv outdoors or listen to a distant NPR station by hooking the amplified antenna to our fm radio.
  I went to the back of the antenna outlet box and found two male coax connectors. One of these is amplified and one is not. I used the tv to determine which one was the amplified connector, hooked up a short length of coax cable and ran it through the floor next to the incoming coax. It hangs down about 5" under the trailer. I used female connections on both ends and then screwed in a male splicer on the outside end which allows me to plug in the cable to the tv or radio.
  For the radio, which we use much more than the tv, I use a 75 to 300 ohm adapter with a splitter for the fm signal and a short length of 300 ohm lead in wire on the fm output with 2 alligator clips on the other end. By attaching the alligator clips to the antenna on the radio we get much improved fm reception.  
  I think (but am not sure) you could run your satellite or cable in the same way by using the non amplified connection on the back of the box.

Bruce Martin
Orlando, Fl