TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2003, 01:06 AM   #1
oilspot

Default LED Lights to Save Power

I read an article a few months back about the LED revolution for 12V lighting.  It was astounding to learn about the advances in LEDs and how much more efficient they are compared to regular auto bulbs.

Would you believe that more than 75% of a regular incandescent bulb's energy is devoted to making heat rather than light?  Something around 10% of the engergy actually goes to producing visible light (stuff we can see)!!!

What this means is that for the same illumination, an LED bulb consumes about 1/10 of the energy.  This little tidbit got me thinking about possible applications for extending battery life, and such on my TM.

I found a good source for reasonable prices bulbs and commenced replacing.  So far, I have converted all the exterior lamps to LED.  The next step is to experiment with replacing some of the interior bulbs with LED.

My observations so far:  They are not a perfect replacement.  Many fixtures and reflectors are not designed for the LED configuration.  The brake/tail and b/u lamps will be modified this weekend to improve visibility.  

They are amazing, but not a universal solution yet...