TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
SireMike

Default AC Run on High or Low?

I have read places where they say always run the AC on high because low does not have enough air flow and the unit can ice up.

Has anyone experienced this?

I live in NE Florida and did notice the humidity level outside goes up quite a bit in the evening. The humidity level in the trailer goes up quite a bit also as the compressor does not run as long because the outside temp is alot lower. I am not sure how I could fix this. Ideas?

AC is very nice when camping in Florida in the summer.

Mike
Old 08-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I've not had any iceing problems. Usually run it on hi to get things going and drop it back to lo for the noise. What's that you say?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Start out on high, then to low cool, I also adjust the thermostat about 1/4" off the maximum and forget about it all night. Never had an icing problem.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Ours is a side-mount, and it iced up once, but I think it was because the filter got dirty and was restricting the airflow. Been better about cleaning the filter, and it hasn't recurred.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

Icing of an automotive AC unit means there's a problem with the refrigerant/compressor system. I remember once the AC unit would actually spit ice chips at us. Best bet, have your system serviced.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
rockerga

Any icing-up or 'freezing" or "spitting ice chunks" is a malfunction and just means the unit needs servicing. Usually the factors are low freon or dirty filters (Not enough air movement) I forgot what my service guy said but it was common sense stuff like never run the A/C when the outside air temperature was below 40 degree's or something like that... Other than that there is a service issue. Clean/vacuum the unit thoroughly in every crack, crevice, nook or cranny and replace the filter with the factory recommended replacement or equivelent and then try again.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
SireMike

Thaks everyone.

Looks like we dodged a bullet (hurricane) and I will be camping this weekend.

Will try it out and see how it goes.

Still bugs me in a way the compressor does not run long enough at night to keep the humidity rising with the outside air.

Mike
Old 09-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
shunter917
Site Sponsor

We have had our AC ice up several times, usually because the temp outside has gotten close to the temp inside the TM (air has cooled off). It's usually time to switch it off then, anyhow.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
cybervanner

Using a "watts Up" meter on a 13,500 BTU coleman rootop heat pump, I found my unit uses 1400 watts on high, and 1550 on low. I found it odd that it uses more electricity on low, but an AC tech told me that it's because the compressor is under more load on low, since less refrigerant is condensed, and internal pressures get higher. On heat, with 40 degree outside temps, it uses 1370 on high, and 1600 or so on low. When the heat strips kick in, it goes up to 1800 watts, but when that happens, I gurn it off and run the propane furnace.