TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
coyotejoe

Question A/C will not get hot!

Seriously. My A/C unit has a selection for "Low Heat", but nothing except outside air is pumped in. I'm not expecting it to actually get HOT, but any form of heat would be nice.

The "Low Heat" setting acts the same as the "Low Fan" setting. I took a thermometer out to the TM and left the A/C unit on "Low Heat" (there is no "High Heat" setting) for over an hour, but the temperature never moved. I am hooked up to AC (shore power) when I try this, and the temperature knob is all the way on red (hot).

Does anyone else have this problem, or does your heat actually work through the A/C unit?

P.S. Yes, I know I have a furnace, but I just picked up my brand new TM the other day and I'm trying to make sure that everything works. It would be nice to have a back-up electric heat source in case I run out of propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmac.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	1105  
Old 04-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
cmc211

I have had 2 different campers that have the heat strip in the A/C. They don't get hot. About all they do is take the chill off. They get mildly warm. If I setup on a cold day I turn it on low heat and leave for a while and it does make a difference.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Freedom

Many RV air conditioners are set up to accept a heating element in the same housing. The wiring and knob are there but the element isn't. Unless you specifically bought the heating element, and had it put in, you probably don't have it. A lot of foreign cars used to come with the controls for AC, but it was a dealer installed option, so it looked like you had air but didn't. The same with a lot of RV air conditioners as far as the heat goes.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
wwjam

Costco and Home Depot sell those heaters at a reasonable price, Costco being the cheapest.

We got our question answered here about the heat strip on the AC. We've never used it because we weren't positive it had a heat strip.

Thanks,
Old 05-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
coyotejoe

It turns out that I DO have the heat strip, it just wasn't plugged in correctly so it didn't work.

They tore it apart (and stripped a few screws in the process ), and it works fine now.

See, it wasn't just my imagination!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Doug W.

Yes, but it still will not put out that much heat. I played with it for a while. It seems to work a little better if you turn the louvers to let less air pass through the unit. I leave it running on heat. I have an electric heater I set, so the trailer is about 70 degrees and 65 at night. I then set the furnace to 65 degrees and 60 at night. With the A/C on heat, it does even out the heat in the TM. I read some posts about the sleeping area in the back being cold. Not a problem with the A/C on low heat moving the air around. I just wish the fan made less noise.