TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
CamperCoyle

Cool Lights won't work in back half of trailer?

Hello all. We have a 2005 2720 that has worked pretty well. We bought it new in 2004. Over the weekend we could not get any of the lights in the rear half of the trailer to work. We checked the fuses and they were fine - plus the LP detector which is on the same circuit still works.

We're thinking something's up with the wiring - but why only the back half - the diagrams seem to indicate all lights run off the same wiring? Could it be a bulb - like Christmas lights? On goes and none of them work.

Any ideas from the group?

Thanks in advance!

Sylvia
Old 05-29-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Freedom

Check the safety switch that is under the rearward wall of the bathroom. Somebody had a problem with it not getting pushed in far enough for the lights to work. Leave the wall down and hold the switch by hand and see if the lights will work then. You may have to shim up the switch.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
PopBeavers

My switch had come loose. So I tightened the switch and all is well. That is assuming that it is a switch problem.

Before I figured out that I could tighten the switch, I put some rolled up cardboard between the shower wall and the switch to take care of the problem.

However, you *MIGHT* have a different problem. I say that because on my TM 2720 if the switch is open (walls down) not only are the rear overhead lights dead, so are the two sensors down by the kitchen floor.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
CamperCoyle

Default I will check the switch again...

I did check it and it seemed OK - LP detector beeped, etc. But I didn't push it down myself with a light on. I'll give it a try.

Thanks all!

Sylvia
Old 07-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
CamperCoyle

Default Finally had a chance to test the switch!

We had the camper out for the 4th and I tested the switch. It is the problem - but still not fixed. I pushed the switch with my hand and the lights worked. So I shimmed it up and it would work intermittently. Think I need to replace the switch entirely? If so - can it be done by a non-electrician, i.e., a Coyle - or should we take it somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
PopBeavers

All I had to do with mine is tighten the small nut so that the switch was sucked up as high as possible. Before I figured out that it was loose I was using some rolled up cardboard as a shim between the switch and the bottom of the bathroom wall as I lifted the wall up.

I think it can be removed by unthreading it and pulling it out of the rear compartment.

I just tested my switch, without a tape measure. It appears that I need to push it in 3/16 inch before it engages.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Joe Daddy

Our 2005 2720 shares this annoyance!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Scott O

I'm not sure I would classify this as an annoyance. It is actually a pretty significant safety item. Without the switch, if a light is accidentally left on and the TM is collapsed, the light will probably be in contact with the bedding. This obviously could cause a rather catastrophic fire. I would rather mess with getting the switch adjusted properly than worry about this possibility. By the way, my switch has always worked fine without any adjustment needed.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I'm not sure I would classify this as an annoyance. It is actually a pretty significant safety item. Without the switch, if a light is accidentally left on and the TM is collapsed, the light will probably be in contact with the bedding. This obviously could cause a rather catastrophic fire. I would rather mess with getting the switch adjusted properly than worry about this possibility. By the way, my switch has always worked fine without any adjustment needed.
The OP states that the switch is not activating the rear lights. I am not sure how this is a safety issue if the lights are not coming on at all. If they could not get them to shut off, that would be a different issue. But I think you are being a bit alarmist given the description of the problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Scott O

"But I think you are being a bit alarmist given the description of the problem."

The post above mine mentioned the function of the switch to be an annoyance. It is anything but an annoyance.