TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
RCCBV1

Default Pipe (plumbing) Repairs

I did a Google search for plumbing repairs, and did not receive any information. I have a leak in the short pipe from the city water inlet. I have not seen this type of piping before. These pipes have a copper looking collar over the pipe, that seals the pipe to the connecting junction. How do you remove the collar? I want to remove the existing pipe, and replace it with either the same, or a flexible pipe.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

RCCBV1,

I found two sites that may be of help. The second link has 12 pages of PEX Pipe and Fittings listed. I think the band connector you are looking for may be listed somewhere in the 12 pages.

http://www.dyersonline.com/showcateg...=157&pagenum=1

http://www.rvpart.com/category/90145...-Fittings.html

Would it be possible to post a picture of the pipe in question? I believe the only way to remove the "collar" is to use some type of saw and carefully cut through the band. You might be able to use a pair of wire cutters?
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
RCCBV1

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure I will use PEX for the repair.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
evans27292

if i read you right o7 model, take it back to your dealer, its under warranty !
Old 08-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
RCCBV1

Not if you caused the leak!! I left a 90 degree hose adapter on the unit when I closed it.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I had a similar experience at one of the CG's we stayed at this spring. We were breaking camp and getting things ready to close down the unit. Once we are finished using the water hookup I will disconnect and stow the fresh water hose. One of the last things I disconnect and stow is the power cord. On this particular day we started to close the back shell only to have it hang up within a few inches of moving forward. After two attempts were unsuccessful I decided to take another walk around to see what might be causing the "hang up". Sure enough the 90 degree street water adaptor was still attached to the trailer. The shell would not close with the elbow in place. Luckily for us there was no damage to the elbow or the street water intake assembly. At the next CG I checked to make sure there were no water leaks under the sink . . . everything was okay.

Try calling the factory . . . they should be able to help you find a replacement pipe, or send you a replacement (with instructions on how to remove the old pipe).
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
RCCBV1

In order to install the pipe with PEZ fittings, you have to have special tooling. It will be easier and cheaper to get some potable hose and clamps.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
idaho-steve

Thumbs up

To answer the original question, the best way to get the collar off the PEX fitting is to use a Dremel tool to score the outside of the collar and snap it off. It is actually pretty easy.

When replacing the collar, a special PEX crimping tool is required. This is a unique (and relatively large) tool worth about $120. They are available for rental for about $20 at the average tool rental shop. The fix is relatively simple and effective; however, in tight quarters the crimping tool can be a hassle to get into position. It does make for a solid and reliable coupling. Good luck.

Steve