TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Remote Fridge Temp Sensor Wiring

I just bought a “Camco Fridge Alarm”. It has a sensor that goes in the fridge and a digital readout panel that tells the temperature in the fridge as well as the room temperature. It also has an alarm feature. The sensor and readout unit are connected by about 2 feet of light 2-conductor wire. I would like to modify it to allow me to read the temperature when the TM is open or closed.

My plan is to either install jacks of some kind in the wire from the sensor so that I could plug the readout panel into one inside the TM when the TM is open and have a second jack on the outside of the TM where I could plug the readout panel in and check the temperature in the fridge while the TM is folded down.

Or, another option I considered is to just splice in a longer wire so I can dangle the readout panel out between the lower wall of TM and the upper shell when it is folded. I am concerned about how I would secure and protect the readout panel from the elements though.

Ether way, this is going to extend the length of wire between the sensor and the readout significantly.

Questions:

1) Has anyone done something like this already?
2) Does anyone know enough about how these things work to know if I change the resistance in the wire by making it longer if the temperature will still read accurately?
3) If so, can I work around it by increasing the wire size? Could I calculate or measure the resistance in the existing wire and try to match it with a longer but heavier wire?
4) Could anyone suggest a good type of connector jack to use?

I will appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Jim
Old 06-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

This is what I use for 2 years now and no wires!!! Just put the remote in the frig. Works great!!!!!!! Put the clock any where you want!!!!!!! http://www.clockstyle.com/atomic-clo...iew&key=LCT009
Old 06-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Refrigerator Temperature

We bought an indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer at Wal-Mart. I have the LCD unit mounted next to the other TM gauging devices (at front of kitchen sink) with a piece of velcro. I usually keep the remote sending device mounted on the trailer hitch (with another piece of velcro) out of the sun, so I know what the outdoor temperature is at a glance. I can also move the sensor inside the refrigerator to see how cool it's getting. A device something like this might be a lot less hassle then trying to extend the wire and use plug in jacks (but that's just me talk'n)

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
pbuck1

I have a small wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer, the Acu-rite 00782. I'm pretty sure you can get them at Walmart for $10 or $15. The batteries in mine lasted all through winter and are still working.
You could consider using your camco unmodified for inside use only. Then
buy the Acurite 00782 ( not much more cost than connectors and wire to extend the camco) and use for reading from outside the TM.
Mounting the display unit on the inside of a front shell window so as to view from outside would afford some protection - it would be between the shells when the TM is closed up. There are several ways to hold the display unit to the inside of a window. I found that the display fits in between a window and its screen - the screen holds it in place. Alternatively you could glue it to the inside of a window (auto rear-view mirror glue) or velcro it to the back of a curtain, etc., etc.

Paul
Old 06-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Jim-NY

Thanks for the advice. I will try a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer. I wish I had thought of that before I bought the fridge alarm.

Jim