TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
hugoscheuer

Default Radio install

My 2720 does not have a radio, just a blank over the refrig. Is there a kit one can purchase to install a auto radio/cd player?
Any tips on doing such an installation, will be greatly appreciated.

Hugo
Old 12-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
PopBeavers

At the time we bought our 2720, my son's truck died. So I pulled the after market radio/CD player out and mounted it in the TM.

After market radios are installed by first installing a mounting cage, then attaching the wires, then sliding the radio in until it snaps into place.

You might take a look at www.crutchfield.com as they have a lot of good information about after market radios. I have never made a puchase there, but I had\ve looked around.

btw, I remove the fuse in the TM power panel that powers the radio when I close down the TM. Most radios these days draw power, even when powered off.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
pbuck1

Do a search on radio install and there are several relevant posts, including this one:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...=radio+install

which tells you that the TM is prewired and you should see a blue and a white wire for 12v power and ground, an antenna cable/connector and the left and right speaker wires. This is from 2001, but hopefully the info is still valid.

Paul
Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuck1
This is from 2001, but hopefully the info is still valid.
Paul -

Yes, it is still valid as of 2006 models. There is only one thing that is sometimes confusing to the first-time installer. When TM connects the wires to the speakers, they run a single pair of wires from the left speaker, to the top of the refrig, and back to the right speaker. When you reach into the opening atop the refrig, and pull out all the wires, you pull out the middle of this loop. You are expected to cut the wires, yielding one pair that goes to the left speaker, and one pair that goes to the right speaker.

I think this was mentioned, but only briefly, in the thread you mentioned.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Magdefrau

I bought a used radio. It was $50.00, half the cost of a new one. This was a newer model and there were several around. It had the instruction on how to install with it. TM must have had some type of sound system before, it's speaker wires were cut, but power wire were still tied back within the cabinet.
A few connection, double check wires, now we have a good quality FM, AM and CD intertainment system. I got a nature CD and played a thunderstorm one night. My daughter plays her CDs. The sound is enough that after 9pm she must stop, out of respect for other campers. TM antenna works fine also.
The radio itself slides into the radio hole opening in the cabinet. On the sides of my radio were some leaf spring flanges that holds tension agaist the hole's edge. So far it's has stayed set in place. I suppose I'll keep the wooden cover and save the radio if we sale the TM. Well....TM has performed so well this fall I'll not sale it soon enough. Radio will be out of date and I'll want a newer radio with the new TM we"ll get in 10 years. So the wooden door is for sale to whom ever needs one. This radio has four speaker outlets... I think I may wire two outside speaker from this. Run my thunderstorm CD in the evening, next to tent campers, Ha Ha... not really.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
hugoscheuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Paul -

Yes, it is still valid as of 2006 models. There is only one thing that is sometimes confusing to the first-time installer. When TM connects the wires to the speakers, they run a single pair of wires from the left speaker, to the top of the refrig, and back to the right speaker. When you reach into the opening atop the refrig, and pull out all the wires, you pull out the middle of this loop. You are expected to cut the wires, yielding one pair that goes to the left speaker, and one pair that goes to the right speaker.

I think this was mentioned, but only briefly, in the thread you mentioned.

Bill
Old 12-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
hugoscheuer

Exclamation Installation kit

Where does one get an installatikon kit with "ears" to attach the sleeve to the inside of the refrig enclosure? And how best to remove the current bezel covering the hole in the cabinet?

Thanks, Hugo
Old 12-14-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Magdefrau

The radio that I purchased outer diamensions must be standard. The opening in the TM cabinet must be standard. The radio slide easily yet snuggly into the hole. The wooden covering had poped off with little effort. The radio it
self had the ears/spring flanges build into the unit. I slightly bent ears out to catch the wooden sides of the opening. Caution big on wording 'slightly'. Yes, I was amazed how easily I instaled this radio. But, every so often the moon is blue. This radio did come with a plastic insert cabinet thing... I didn't use it. I need to sell it to. It would not fit into the opening and there is not room for it and the radio on this cabinet above the refrig. The wire harness was hard to get loose from within the hole....I see now with the bathroom wall down I could had gotten to it easier. The radio rides rather square to the cabinet and flush to the surface. I have not braced to radio within the cabinet. Seems to stay in place without any support other than the radio/wood contact area. The radio is lite.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
BobRederick

Hugo

The radio cover is above the refrigerator door, between that and the counter top. The cover is backed by a rectangular block that slides tightly into a rectangular hole in the panel. There is no undercut and no sliding side-to-side. No hidden screws, no springs, etc., etc. It comes straight out. Not knowing this, I pried on mine so hard it broke the cover in two. Once I got it out and saw how it worked, it can be removed easily.

I hope you have better success than I did.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
hugoscheuer

Question cover removal

Bob, from your description, I can't quite understand your description of removing the cover. Do you remove the "rectangular block" from the outside refrigerator access cover? If so, how do you actually remove the "rectangular block"? Does it just pull out? if so, why doesn't it come off when prying on the cover from the front?

Sorry about my lack of cognitive abilities

Hugo