TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2022, 03:13 PM   #1
Two4leisure

Default Running TM outlets on inverter

Hi all,

I use our Trailmanor exclusively off grid. I would like to know if there is a way to power all of the outlets in the trailer from my inverter? Not sure where the connection would be made. Maybe in back of the fuse panel would be a good guess. Not too lazy to look, but was hoping someone in the forum is more familiar with the electrical system than I. Thanks
Two4leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Great question, and hopefully someone will have an answer!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4leisure View Post
Hi all,

I use our Trailmanor exclusively off grid. I would like to know if there is a way to power all of the outlets in the trailer from my inverter? Not sure where the connection would be made. Maybe in back of the fuse panel would be a good guess. Not too lazy to look, but was hoping someone in the forum is more familiar with the electrical system than I. Thanks
I've done what you're considering as have at least several others on the board.

So, yes. You can absolutely do that, but you will need to also consider adding an Automatic Transfer Switch in place a necessary step to prevent any possibility of your inverter trying to power those outlets while you also have shore power connected.

The Go Power! TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch is a popular choice for auto switching 120 Volt between inverter-supplied power and the power supplied via 30 Amp power pedestal (when using shore power). It's a very tight fit to place the auto transfer switch behind the TrailManor's converter box and slide it left into the corner void, but there is room.

Before deciding to tackle this....
You should consider making sure you have no 120 or 12 volt power in the TrailManor then taking the cover off your TM's converter, removing the retaining screws, sliding the converter into the hall area, and using a flashlight to look behind it. You'll see Romex wiring coming into the back of the converter from your shore power plug and wires for the 120 volt outlets (going to breakers) and wires going to the 12 volt side fuses. Doing this proactively before buying the auto switch will allow you to gauge if you want to try this project, or simply wire a single inverter-powered 120 Volt plug to the left of your converter.

If you decide after looking over the cramped space behind your converter that you still want to go forward.....

Both the Romex wire from your shore power and your inverter power wire need to be wired into the auto switch, which then gets wired to the connection on the 120 volt side of the converter where the shore power was previously wired. The auto transfer switch will "live" in the small space in the back corner, left of your converter. (Both the auto transfer switch and the converter are under the seat area of the shower.)

Depending on how handy you are with wiring (and how much pain you can tolerate) I'd say that wiring that all in place can probably be done in a couple of hours. (Caution you will likely end up with some small cuts and bruises on your arms and hands due to sharp edges and cramped working space behind your TM's converter.)

I'd also highly recommend watching a fellow TrailManor owner's video on YouTube who has done this (Matt Carter). Matt Carver's The Critter and the Butterfly YouTube channel may give you a better idea of what you're facing without pulling out your converter.

I'm sure others will chime in with very valuable advice....

Rich

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
Two4leisure

Thanks Rich. I appreciate all the info. I will search Matt’s videos for that install. I have watched a few of his videos recently. Right now Inhave the equivalent of an extension cord from my inverter into the trailer to occasionally use the toaster or coffeemaker. Before I either cut out a larger hole for a proper outlet install or powering up all of the outlets I will have to see if it will be worth the trouble. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks Rich. I appreciate all the info. I will search Matt’s videos for that install. I have watched a few of his videos recently. Right now Inhave the equivalent of an extension cord from my inverter into the trailer to occasionally use the toaster or coffeemaker. Before I either cut out a larger hole for a proper outlet install or powering up all of the outlets I will have to see if it will be worth the trouble. Thanks again.
Trust me when I tell you, the best and safest way to wire in an inverter is Rich2468's post.

I cut the amount of pain a cuts by cutting a 10"x10" hole in the wall panel as shown in the attached pic and covered it up with a vent cover. That vent also adds some air circulation for your converter. Another solution would be to simply place the ATS (automatic transfer switch) in the rear cabinet (if your model has one), on the other side of the wall from the hallway. If you have no rear cabinet, you may be able to place the ATS on the outside rear of the trailer, under the bed slide. Measure carefully, there is some room back there with the roof closed. I made up a cardboard mock-up of the solar controller that I installed on my 2720SL. I taped it to the wall and closed the roof. There was plenty of room and it's well protected from the weather back there (see pic #2)

Another option (which I have also done) is to run a wire (essentially and extension cord) from your inverter to some outlet in the TM. Just be sure to remove (and protect) that outlet's wiring from the outlet. Then you can plug your appliance into that outlet. I used the outlet next to the counter, on the right side of the stove.

It's always good to post what year/model TM that you are asking questions about. It helps others, help you.

What size inverter do you have? Is it a "pure sinewave" inverter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug2-2022Final A.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	21435   Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarController.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	21436  
Old 09-26-2022, 11:10 PM   #6
Two4leisure

Hi Wavery,

I agree. Rich’s way is excellent and also safe. I have a 2006 Trailmanor 2720 SL. I have a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter. And like you, I have run the equivalent of an extension cord and comes out right next to the outlet you refer next to the counter. I may just do what you did and tie it into the outlet you did as well. That is really the only place that I tend to use the outlet. Thank you for your detailed reply and pictures. I don’t think all the rest is worth the effort to me.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Hi Wavery,

I agree. Rich’s way is excellent and also safe. I have a 2006 Trailmanor 2720 SL. I have a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter. And like you, I have run the equivalent of an extension cord and comes out right next to the outlet you refer next to the counter. I may just do what you did and tie it into the outlet you did as well. That is really the only place that I tend to use the outlet. Thank you for your detailed reply and pictures. I don’t think all the rest is worth the effort to me.
Here is another ATS that may be smaller, easier to install and a lot cheaper. It's only 15A (instead of 30A) but would do everything that you want to do.

It sure is nice to be able to plug into any outlet and have it work and have your inverter protected from 110V back-feed at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-80809...7-93deae8f9840
Old 09-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #8
Two4leisure

Thanks again. I decided to power only the one outlet next to the counter. My question is, the wire to this outlet is solid I believe 10 gauge wire. In your opinion, do you think using 14 gauge stranded wire would work in that outlet?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:04 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks again. I decided to power only the one outlet next to the counter. My question is, the wire to this outlet is solid I believe 10 gauge wistranded will be fine for up to re. In your opinion, do you think using 14 gauge stranded wire would work in that outlet?
Yes. A new 14G will service a 15A outlet just fine.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:19 AM   #10
Two4leisure

Thank you. I decided to use a residential a 115v receptacle, and used spade lugs with the 14 gauge stranded wire to have angled connection on the receptacle terminals.