TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Water heater external switch won't go to off position

In anticipation of possibly listing my TM to sell (GASP!!!), I pulled it out of it's storage area to ponder what needs to be repaired/replaced. I've known for a while that the electric heater element was blown, but just never got around to replacing it. It's been a while, so I opened up the cover today to see what I needed to do. Prior to storing it a couple of years ago, apparently I had already removed the copper burner tube (it was under the sink in the kitchen), and the black cover to the heater element (it was in a drawer in a plastic bag), and I had disconnected the wires from the element.

So I was reading through some of the threads on replacing the heater element and the anode rod (just ordered both and they will be here on Friday), and one of the threads mentioned turning off the power switch there in the exterior access panel to the water heater.

I just went to check that, and mine is in the on position, but won't switch to the off position. I don't want to force it, but it seems that even though the wires aren't connected, I should be able to flip that switch? Obviously I didn't flip it to off when I removed the wires, but the trailer wouldn't have had power connected at the time.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2022, 06:15 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Holly,

See if this post from Forest River Forums will help: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ch-222587.html I haven't looked at it, but there is a video that may show how to replace switch. The switch may have froze do to a current surge when your heater electrode failed.
Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #3
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
Holly,

See if this post from Forest River Forums will help:
Dick
Sweet! Thank you so much! Reading that thread, and then looking at the video, it's certainly a simple task. And from everything I read, they go bad all the time, or on a fairly frequent basis. Have that on order now as well.