TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
Cifortich

Default Transmission Cooler

Hi, I plan to tow my TM2720 with a 2016 KIA Sorento AWD, towing capacity is 5000 lbs. Do you recommend installing a transmission cooler to prevent transmission failure?
Cifortich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A cooler is almost certainly a good idea, for several reasons.
o You live in California and will almost certainly want to venture up to some of the gorgeous places in the high Sierras and Rockies.
o A rating of 5000 pounds is adequate for towing a TM, but not generous. Remember that the tow rating is reduced by the weight of all the stuff you put in your car, including passengers. And of course you need to be aware that the weight of the fully-packed camping-ready trailer is a lot more than the dry weight you find in the trailer specs..
o A transmission cooler is a lot cheaper than a transmission repair.
o Although I've found one casual reference to 5000 pound towing capacity on the Sorrento with AWD and V-6 engine, I'm having trouble finding any details on that. The reason I look for it is that car manufacturers routinely state the towing capacity number with an asterisk. The asterisk refers to some small print that says "when properly equipped". You have to hunt pretty hard to find out exactly what this means, but usually it means that the vehicle has the optional factory-installed towing package. And the towing package includes, among other things, a tranny cooler. Do you know if your Sorrento has a factory towing package?

You can find some vaguely useful words here

https://www.etrailer.com/question-236233.html

Those folks recommend that you visit a KIA dealer with your VIN in hand. He should be able to tell you, though some dealers are a little cagey (or lazy) about it Alternatively, I would write to Kia Customer Service, provide the VIN, and ask the same question. I have a 2005 Jeep, and the CSR promptly sent me a complete multi-page vehicle build sheet with every detail you can imagine. Kia should be able to do the same.

Bottom line, I highly recommend a transmission cooler.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:01 PM   #3
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Even if you have the factory tow package and it comes with a transmission cooler built into the radiator, I would still add an auxiliary cooler. Add it into the return side after the radiator.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:48 AM   #4
CelNArt

Hello and Welcome to The TM forum

I watched Traveling Robert on Youtube bop around the US towing his heavier and more wind resistant Minnie Winnie with an older 2012? Sorento until he blew it up on a trip but never got a definitive feel for how well it worked for him; I can however tell you my experiences.

I used my 2016 Sorrento EX 3.3L 2WD
Claimed Complete but in fact Incomplete factory tow package (4 wire not 7 wire Bargman)
I wired the Bargman wiring after it was denied at the dealer.
I have towed my 2619 Trailmanor about 2500 miles with a WDH * and experienced the following results:
*(I read the WDH is not recommended but I experienced no adverse effects.)

San Diego to Yuma trip August 2019: The Factory Tow package wiring cable harness without a fuse failed on the road. I purchased an Etrailer.Com aftermarket replacement with a fuse and installed it. KIA Customer uncare did not honor replacement cost for the replacement and wouldn't and or couldn't get the harness either. It has worked now for 3 years.

San Diego to Nogales March 2021 trip-
Transmission temperatures
239 degrees F in Alpine, CA.
225 in El Centro, CA.
230 in Yuma, AZ (80 ambient)

Engine Temps were above 200 also.

Nogales to San Diego
Didn't measure temps but experienced Transmission gear hunting while in a 50 MPH Cruise Control setting climbing up I8W near the Wind Turbines at the top. I canceled the Cruise Control and manually shifted down to 3rd or 4th depending on the incline without additional Transmission gear hunting.

Transmission fluids should be cooler than what I experienced. Believe 220 F or less is suggested to prevent Transmission Fluid breakdown.

I have since purchased a 2005 Toyota Tundra with 120K miles and took engine and transmission temperatures towing in approximately the same areas that are 60-100 degrees F cooler when the Ambient temperature was 100 degrees F! It has a large Aux Tranny cooler factory installed and the suspension design negates need of a WDH. No issues switching the Trailer brake controller over other than a 2005 Tundra "Pigtail" ($20) needed.

I chose to take the Tundra instead of the Sorrento from CA to NY and Back and it was great all summer!

If you decide to keep your TM any length of time, drive long distances or to high elevations, i suggest you get an F150, Titan or Tundra with a V8 without the Turbo.
Another note: The Sorento V6 3.3L engines have reports of excessive oil consumption then engine failure around 100K miles. Suggest offloading it while the used car market is hot now.

Email me for additional details; I am in your San Diego back yard.

Archie of "CelNArt"
CelNArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #5
Cifortich

Thank you for the replies and sharing your stories. I purchased the TM 2720 mainly because of its low GVW and not have to purchase a truck. I have a family of 4, back seats of trucks are not very comfortable for long trips. I will add the tranny cooler to my Sorrento vehicle. Again, thank you.
Cifortich is offline   Reply With Quote