TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
BradS7535

Default STD or HD Towing Package?

So my wife and I are looking to upgrade her 2014 Flex to a larger SUV and we've essentially narrowed it down to the Expedition EL. 2 questions that I'm looking for input on:

2015 Expedition Towing Info

Question 1: I need some clarification as to the towing capacity. The Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight table lists 6600# as standard and 9200# as requiring the HD tow package, but in the hitch receiver weight capacity table at the bottom it says 6600# is weight carrying and 9200# is weight distributing. Is this saying that if I DON'T use a WDH the limit is 6600#, but if I use a WDH I can tow up to the 9200# regardless if I have the HD Tow package? What are these 2 tables telling me about weight limits?

Question 2: We have a 2720 and we haven't had any issues towing with our 2014 Flex (4500# total 450# tongue limit). I know that even the standard 6600# towing capacity will be PLENTY for our 2720. However, the HD towing package comes with extras such as an Aux trans cooler, bigger radiator, and a built in brake controller. I know I could wire in a 7-pin connector, and get an external brake controller, but my question is; if I'm only towing our 2720, how necessary or how much benefit would I get out of the HD Tow package. Obviously a larger radiator and extra trans oil cooler will keep temps lower, but if I'm never towing near the max, will I really get much added benefit?

As always your comments and suggestions are appreciated!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I would tend to the HD package. Looking at the spec sheet, it looks as if the Expedition standard has no option for a radiator upgrade. A trans cooler appears to be optional on the HD package, but not offered on the standard package. It looks as if you'd have to do a lot of aftermarket upgrades to the standard package if you wanted better cooling capabilities.

Do some research into the Ecoboost. Check this guy out. He seems to know what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FordTec...query=ecoboost

(Don't dismiss the Chevy or Chrysler equivalents)

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

+ 1 on the HD package, is always the best deal from the factory and know it is an engineered package. If an eco-boost, go for the 3.5 liter, smaller ones spend too much time in PE when towing.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
BradS7535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Looking at the spec sheet, it looks as if the Expedition standard has no option for a radiator upgrade. A trans cooler appears to be optional on the HD package, but not offered on the standard package. It looks as if you'd have to do a lot of aftermarket upgrades to the standard package if you wanted better cooling capabilities.
I'm a bit confused by your statement that the trans cooler appears to be optional on the HD? I'm not sure why sometimes they use an (X) and sometimes they use (Std.) in that column, but I'm assuming that the HD package includes pretty much everything in that column (except the 4-pin only). I guess the cooling capabilities is part of my question here. Is extra cooling overall better? Sure. If I'm not towing anywhere near the max tow rating, am I getting that much benefit from the extra cooling? That's what I was hoping to get some more info on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
(Don't dismiss the Chevy or Chrysler equivalents)
We took a look at the Chevy Tahoe and Suburban and just didn't like them as much. The 3rd row of the Tahoe would only be suitable for a small child or double leg amputee. We are looking for a car that can take a bunch of people too. The Suburban's 3rd row was more usable, but the Expedition had more legroom back there. And as far as towing, I believe the Expedition has a higher tow capacity.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ford puts out a document called, in this case, the "2015 RV & TRAILER TOWING GUIDE". It issues this document every year, for every truck (or pseudo-truck) in its lineup. Instead of a single-sheet summary of a few specs, this one runs 32 pages, and has a lot more info. Since it covers the entire lineup, many of these pages are not relevant to you - but then, many of them are. It should clarify some of the confusion you are getting from the single sheet.

You (and all Ford owners) would do well to look through this document. Just Google "2015 Ford Towing Guide" (obviously substituting your year of interest). It will come up as a PDF file, which you can print if you desire.

I've had Ford tow vehicles for almost 20 years, and always found this document to be worthwhile.

By the way, on the single sheet, I think STD means that the item comes as standard on this specific model of the truck. The X means "available as an extra cost option". And the dash means "not available no how no way".

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
BradS7535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
By the way, on the single sheet, I think STD means that the item comes as standard on this specific model of the truck. The X means "available as an extra cost option". And the dash means "not available no how no way".
Bill, but wouldn't that mean, using your logic, that the HD towing package doesn't include any wiring or connector since the 4-pin is a dash (not available) and the 4/7 pin connector is an X, so an option? That doesn't seem right.

Looking at the single sheet more I think what they are trying to say is that those 3 items (receiver, flashers and sway control) are included in the Std. package, and then all the "X" are items included in the HD package in ADDITION to the items in the Std. Notice how the first column is called Expedition (Std.).

I'm Googling the more detailed info now.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
BradS7535

After reading the more detailed towing guide per Bills suggestion, I think I'm a little bit clearer as to the capabilities.

Summary of what I found:
HD Towing comes with everything listed in that column with X or Std.
The hitch can handle 6600# and 660# tongue with weight carrying, and the full 9200# with 920# tongue with ONLY a WDH.

It seems as though you will void your warranty if you tow over 6600# without the HD Tow package even if you use a WDH. That doesn't mean the vehicle can't do it, as nothing else in the HD Tow package adds any power to the vehicle, it just all just extra cooling (bigger radiator and aux trans oil cooler).

So back to my original question. Seeing as we will be buying used (may not have any warranty remaining), how much extra benefit will we get from the extras included in the HD towing package if we will only be towing our 2720?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

To your question - is the HD package going to be overkill? It certainly won't be for your 2720. But what if down the road you decide to move up to a full size travel trailer? If you do, your TV will be in a better position to handle the upright travel trailer if you have the HD package.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
nothing else in the HD Tow package adds any power to the vehicle
Towing capability is far more than raw horsepower. Cooling is a lot of it. Suspension, especially rear suspension, is some more. Brakes are a big item, as you can imagine. And there are other considerations such as durability in extreme conditions.

On page 2 of the towing guide, they give a condensed and almost worthless description of the test used to determine tow capacity. The test, known as SAE standard J2807, is relatively new - before it came into existence, manufacturers could pretty much claim anything. It is interesting to find out exactly what is J2807 involves. There is a pretty good description here.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-the-standard/

Among other things, it lists required performance on a stretch of road called "Davis Dam Road", a steep and L-O-N-G piece of highway in Arizona (11 miles of unrelenting 8% grade, as I recall), on a day with temps over 100 degrees, air conditioner full on, driver plus passenger plus some hundred pounds of cargo. In other words, a reasonably realistic scenario. It is intended to add realism to tow capacity numbers.

We had a 2002 Explorer V-8, and then a 2007 Explorer V-8. Both were "rated" at about 6800 pounds. We ran the Davis Dam Road several times with both of them. With a 4000 pound TM behind, those Explorers could keep up 60 mph, but barely. There was no way in the world that they could have done it with a 6800-pound trailer on the back.

My point is that your 2015 Expedition is rated for 6600 pounds, and it meets J2807, which didn't exist for my Explorers. I would be pretty confident that it will do anything you need with a TM. If it doesn't have a wiring harness, you'll have to add it. But I, personally, wouldn't pay thousands to get it. Just my feeling.

Dick's concern above is a good one. Only you can address it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
BradS7535

Good points. I don't see us getting any larger trailer as we would then need to pay for storage and we wouldn't be able to open anything larger than maybe the 2922 in our carport. Trailmanor for life!

Bill, when you say you wouldn't pay thousands for it are you referring to the HD tow package?

Assuming we will never tow more than the 2720, is the extra cooling going to make a big, if any, difference in performance or possible reliability for the engine or transmission in the long run?