TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
SamHeatherandgirls

Default Shower Mod Idea

I did the shower mod to Olga a few weeks back, including installing the Oxygenics shower head. I used it this weekend, and found it made the shower quite nice. Like in previous threads I've seen, I used a piece of wire to hang the shower head from the track. I split a piece of 10-2 electrical wire and used the white insulated wire instead of a coat hanger, so I wouldn't have to deal with rust issues. I found that it was terribly inconvenient to have to hook and unhook the wire while showering and also the shower head just didn't spray the direction I wanted it to.

I recall when I was researching the forum that someone glued a magnet to the shower head mount and then installed a metal plate on the streetside wall to use to stick the shower head to.

I'm going to do this. My plan is to use a blank metal electrical box plate and spray paint it white. I'll then POP rivet it to the wall.

Does anyone have a picture of this done in their shower? I know I read it on the forum, but don't recall who posted it.
SamHeatherandgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Be careful of putting anything on the wall of the shell. I don't recall the mod you are referring to, but the outside wall on the shell must drop down next to the base box for travel. Anything attached will prevent the shell from closing.

If you are going to attach something to any wall, make sure it is the bottom wall when folding the bathroom. Otherwise, the walls won't fold flat, and you won't get the bed pushed-in.

Maybe your mod is not really what I am envisioning, in which case, ignore this reply. ;-)
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Have you considered an over-the-wall unit such as this one?
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=449
It simply hangs over the top of the folding wall above the tub. Holds the shower head, soap, shampoo, and whatever else you need. No mods to the camper at all, no screws into the walls, etc.

The picture shows the one I built, but there were several similar designs put forward, way back in the early days of the forum (2002, maybe?) You can start by looking for posts by a member named Hal. Plastic parts come from WalMart, add a few stainless steel nuts and machine screws from the hardware store, and you are done.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
SamHeatherandgirls

Default Shower Mod

I found the thread I knew there was no way I thought of this one myself. Hopefully the link works properly.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...wer+mod+magnet

Instead of a thin piece of sheet metal, I'm going to use a metal blank electrical box cover. I spray painted it with some Rustoleum primer and then sprayed it with some satin white. I happened to have those two in the cabinet in my garage. I don't think once POP riveted onto the wall it will cause any closing issues, as the metal is quite thin. I will do some double checking before I go doing anything crazy though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blank cover.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	12382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blank cover painted.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	12383  
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

As I suspected, what I got in my mind from your description was not what you had described. My visualization error!

While your plate should work, I would go with what Bill did. If you don't have the bathroom walls erected (we keep ours down during the day, as it opens-up the living area, and gives us another flat surface for things), your plate would look somewhat out-of-place. Just my opinion.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
SamHeatherandgirls

After consideration of how we use our TM, I decided to go with my idea of using a magnet to hold the showerhead in place. Originally I glued JB Welded two iron ferrite magnets onto the bracket that came with my Oxygenics showerhead. I put a good thick coating on the outside of them as well to prevent any pieces from breaking off over time. I sanded that down once it was cured and had a nice smooth surface. I POP riveted the electrical box plate onto the streetside wall of the TM. I found the two magnets weren't nearly strong enough and the twisting action put on the bracket by the hose caused the magnets to pull away.

I went to plan B and ordered a neodymium from K&J Magnetics. I bought a square one with a counterbored hole to allow mounting with a stainless steel countersunk machine screw. I used a stainless steel acorn nut to secure it to the showerhead bracket.

This plan worked out well for me. The showerhead stays in place and the water sprays at a spot where I have total coverage from my curtains so I don't have to worry about making puddles on the floor.

The plate on the wall does look a bit out of place, however when the shower curtain is up you can hardly see it.

Hopefully my pictures illustrate what I did better than my words.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	12526   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	12527   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	12528   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	12529   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	12530  

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	12531   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	12532  
Old 10-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Looks good! I like the feature that you can have the entire wall covered with the shower curtain, instead of a split.