TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
CrazyCampers

Smile Maiden Voyage

We just got back from our maiden voyage with our new 2013 TM 2720SD. We had a great time and were able to learn how to setup and test everything out.

We did encounter some small issues that I wanted some advice about.

The first issue is the gray water indicator on the systems monitor. It was always reading full, so we tested it out by emptying the tank and then filling it, using the test button every few seconds to see the status. After emptying the tank, it read empty. I then started filling it by running water coming from the fresh water tank, so that I could look under the sink and see how much water had actually gone into the gray tank. It read empty at the beginning and jumped to full after only adding around 5 gallons. The lights never showed at any of the intermediate levels, only empty and then full, with all lights lit. In reading on here, other people seem to have had problems with the gray tank reading full when it really is not. Is the problem just the shape of the tank being so flat that the sensor cannot read the amount properly? Is this something that can really be fixed, or is it just destined to be inaccurate? The other sensors on the panel seem correct. We are under warranty but the dealer is hours away so we don't want to go there to have it "fixed" if it is probably still going to be an issue anyway.

The second issue relates to the small lights attached to the front overhead cabinet. All three of the lights are not operating. I am wondering if they are not hooked up. We do not have the radio or speakers so I am curious if those lights are supposed to be run off that wiring and they got missed. Any thoughts? The fuses were fine and the other front lights were functional.

The smoke detector is also not working, but I assume they just didn't put a battery in it, so I can test that next trip.

Overall, we love the TM. It is quick to open and close, but the rest of the setup and tear down does take a while. I assume it will get quicker the more often we do it. We are very happy with the storage and appliances. We had empty cabinets, so I am bringing a few more kitchen supplies next time. I figure we can use the one totally empty cabinet for more food supplies and the empty drawers in the 3 drawer cabinet for dirty clothes. We use the mini cabinets over the dinette for card games and flashlights. We use the left dinette seat for outdoor chairs, a table, and the pool noodles. We can pull the noodles in and out through the external door so that works well. We use the small storage under the right dinette seat for towels that we wrap around the cabinets for padding during transit, and store countertop items like the napkin holder and paper towel holder in there when on the road. The storage cabinet under the bed is empty right now too. I am sure we will fill it up over time.

So far there was no toilet stink, but I guess it could get worse if we don't keep it clean. I was thinking of getting a Flush King for use after long trips and at the end of the season. Surprisingly, there was plenty of storage for all our bathroom items in the bathroom cabinets. We used an over the door towel bar to hang the towels but they stayed pretty wet. Any advice for drying the towels during colder weather? The campground would not allow clotheslines. We also noted that some of the mini shower curtain hooks were either missing or had no rollers on them, so we will ask the dealer if they can send us some extra ones.

It is interesting to note how really inaccurate the TM manual is. The one provided with the trailer was a different version from the one posted on the TM site. There were big omisions but luckily the information on this site was available. It is interesting that with the new TMs, you do not have to light the top burners. There is a spark dial you use to light them. Also, it was very easy to light the oven pilot, although there is no way to know when it is preheated. I will add an oven thermometer for that. The current model does not have a heater strip on the AC, but perhaps you could have ordered it as an option. The water heater also only runs on propane. We found the furnace to get very quick at heating the living area, but ineffective at heating the back bed. I wonder if a small fan would have helped move the warm air back to the bed area. We kept the curtain open, but it was still much colder back there.

We practiced backing up in a parking lot when we got home, but we still have a bit of practicing to go before we will feel comfortable without a pull through site. It helped if I directed from the outside over the phone while DH was backing up.

We had trouble with our towing mirrors. We are using Grand Aeros on a 2012 Dodge Durango and they are just not secure enough. The regular mirrors are small and curved on top, so the clips slip. We are going to try hooking them onto the bottom of the mirrors instead, but may have to explore other options if they still do not seem secure enough.

The highlights of the weekend were hiking at Starved Rock and sitting around the campfire in the evening, watching a few stars peak out. We are taking the kids out mid-October for a weekend. Any suggestions for a location less than two hours from the western suburbs of Chicago? We can't leave until 4pm or so and want to be setup before dark.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
We just got back from our maiden voyage with our new 2013 TM 2720SD. We had a great time and were able to learn how to setup and test everything out.

We did encounter some small issues that I wanted some advice about.

The second issue relates to the small lights attached to the front overhead cabinet. All three of the lights are not operating. I am wondering if they are not hooked up. We do not have the radio or speakers so I am curious if those lights are supposed to be run off that wiring and they got missed. Any thoughts? The fuses were fine and the other front lights were functional.

So far there was no toilet stink, but I guess it could get worse if we don't keep it clean. I was thinking of getting a Flush King for use after long trips and at the end of the season.

We practiced backing up in a parking lot when we got home, but we still have a bit of practicing to go before we will feel comfortable without a pull through site. It helped if I directed from the outside over the phone while DH was backing up.
Look for a black toggle switch in the right skylight to control the lights!

Check out the Happy Camper toilet treatment thread! To clean after trips I always fill toilet overfull and add a scoop of Oxyclean! Let it sit overnight and drain.

Backing up will always be a challenge but it dose get easier and walkie talkies work great! I guess the phone is just as good nowadays! LOL!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
CrazyCampers

Actually, each light had its own individual toggle switch. We tried switching each of them and they did not seem to work. Are we missing something? It is a brand new trailer so I didn't think it could be all of the light bulbs being burnt out.

We can't do any cleaning of the toilet at home, because we can only park it in our garage because of HOA rules. I could try cleaning it with the oxyclean the last night at the campground and then not using the toilet the morning we leave. I plan to have a sewer hookup the last night we are on a trip so I can at least rinse the toilet.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
rumbleweed

The black toggle switch in the roof vent ( along the edge) is a master switch for both the forward lights. If it is not on the other switches will do nothing.

The sensor for the grey water tank is not fancy. They are simply a few screws attached to the grey water tank at different levels then attached to wires to the sensor panel. If the full wire is connected to the 1/4 full screw by mistake, it will read incorrectly. As it is under warranty, let the dealer fix it, but it is most likely a simple wire switch.

Yes smoke detector is a 9V battery operated device. If the TM was on the lot for a while the battery could be dead or just missing.

A flush king will not work as the TM does not have a black water tank. The tank is built into the toilet. I add about 3 gals of water and a few oz of Odo-ban and flush for a few minutes then dump for my fall clean out.

The hot water heater is both electric and propane, To use Electric, you need to turn the small black rocker switch in the lower left hand corner of the outside WH access panel. CAUTION make sure the WH is full before turning it on and turn it off before draining the WH. Failure to do so will burn it up in seconds.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
CrazyCampers

Great! Thank you so much! I will look for that master switch for the lights.

Do you know if the wires on the gray tank are accessible? If it really is just a matter of switching the wires, it might be worth doing it ourselves to avoid the four hour drive to and from the dealer.

I thought I read posts on here about people using flush kings to clean the toilet? I will search on that.

According to the service man at the dealer, the hot water heater is only propane. The documentation that came with the TM lists the model number and that number corresponds to a model that only uses propane. We did look in the the WH access panel for the switch this weekend, just in case and didn't see it. I will look again on my next trip. I thought maybe they switched to a cheaper model to save money. On the trailmanor web site, it does list gas/electric water heater on the standard equipment page, so it may be worth a call to the factory too. The site does seem out of date with respect to photos and some details.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
Great! Thank you so much! I will look for that master switch for the lights.

Do you know if the wires on the gray tank are accessible? If it really is just a matter of switching the wires, it might be worth doing it ourselves to avoid the four hour drive to and from the dealer.

I thought I read posts on here about people using flush kings to clean the toilet? I will search on that.

According to the service man at the dealer, the hot water heater is only propane. The documentation that came with the TM lists the model number and that number corresponds to a model that only uses propane. We did look in the the WH access panel for the switch this weekend, just in case and didn't see it. I will look again on my next trip. I thought maybe they switched to a cheaper model to save money. On the trailmanor web site, it does list gas/electric water heater on the standard equipment page, so it may be worth a call to the factory too. The site does seem out of date with respect to photos and some details.
If nothing has changed on the gray tank, all you have to do is kneel at the rear bumper and look under at the tank! The wires are visible along with the sending units!

Keeping the toilet clean is very easy as long as you don't let it sit and dry out before final flushing!

If the w/h has a electric element, the switch will be in the lower left corner outside behind the vented cover! Look behind the gas tubing!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Pic 1 attached - the connection wires on my grey tank. Your TM is newer, so the details might be different, but overall should look the same. Make sure the common is not disconnected, which can result in screwy readings. The wire colors on mine are faded, but from left to right, the functions are

o ground or common
o 1/3 full
o 2/3 full
o full

You should be able to find the colors by going online to find the manual for your panel. Let us know the make/model of the panel and we'll help you find it. Mine is from KIB Enterprises - is yours? http://www.kibenterprises.com/monitorpanels-sm.html
----------------------------------------------
Pic 2 - the location of the on-off switch for the electric element of your water heater. Look at the arrow on http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=447. Please give us the model number of your heater - it should be SW6DE, which translates to Suburban/Waterheater/6gallon/directsparkignition/electric.

BTW, in this model number, "direct spark ignition" means self-lighting on propane.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray tank wires annotated.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	7891  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
rumbleweed

Unless they changed the grey water sensor, the sensors are simply machine screws at various level in the back side of the tank. Look at the back of the tank and you should see the wires attached.

According to the TM site the WH is gas and electric. I don't even see propane only as an option. The elect switch is hidden behind the gas lines on the lower left hand side of the control panel accessible from the outside WH access panel.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Here is a thread with photos showing the location of the master switch that controls the light fixtures under the front, upper cabinets.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10673 scroll down to post #7

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
PopBeavers

The best person around to help me back up the TM is my blind brother-in-law.

I back the TM into the middle of the site far enough so I am not blocking the road.

I walk him back to where I want the rear streetside corner of the TM to be. I position his cane and he holds it with his left hand. He sticks his right hand straight out.

I pull forward as necessary and then back up, aiming for the read and whit cane. When he can feel the back of the TM with his right hand he yells stop and I am done.

My mirrors are set so that I can see down the side of the TM.

I can mostly tell left and right just by looking in the mirrors. The most important thing he does for me is tell me when to stop.

Rule number 1 when backing a trailer: If something does not feel right get out and walk around. Don't guess.

Rule number 2: don't forget to look overhead.

Rule number 3: there is no rule 3. (with apologies to Monty Python)